'Food Court Larry' returns­­ ­-- to Novack

Students saddened by the departure of former Food Court Manager Larry "Food Court Larry" James will soon experience his signature service once again when he returns to work in Novack Cafe this term.

While managing Food Court, James made a name for himself by offering students service with a personalized touch. After swiping a student's card, James would always identify the student by name. James also dressed up for certain food court occasions and made a point of going out of his way to interact with students. Though freshmen haven't yet met "Food Court Larry," he says he looks forward to chatting with students -- but won't forget his main purpose: "I'll try to entertain the folks as well as serve the products."

Tom DeFalco '09 expressed his enthusiasm for Larry's return.

"Larry is a great man. I'm really excited that the '10s get to experience his service. He's a legend," DeFalco said.

R. Tucker Rossiter, the director of Dartmouth Dining Service, also said he and other employees were excited bout James's return.

"We love it. It's great because he has such a personality," Rossiter said. "It's like having a P.R. person on your staff. We're glad to have him back."

After working primarily at Cafe North near the Dartmouth Medical School a few days a week this past fall, James, 62, will move to the more undergraduate-oriented Novack Cafe in Baker-Berry Library. Although James retired following Spring term 2006 after nine years with DDS, he said his love of student interaction propelled his comeback.

"I've always liked students a lot. I do enjoy students. They keep my feet to the fire. They keep me young. I kind of missed it when I retired. I enjoyed the sports and the cultural offerings [at Dartmouth]," James said.

James will enjoy added flexibility and more convenient hours at his new job.

"It's the perfect job for me. I don't go to work too early or too late. I work lunchtime only. I generally work just two days a week, but if they have troubles or if a student gets sick I'll be happy to help out," he said.

James ruled out coming back to Food Court in a managerial position, but said he will help with certain events he introduced.

"I'll probably have something to do with Mardi Gras and April in Paris. I like to do that. I get kind of crazy. I'm asked to come back sometimes and help with these events and it's something I really enjoy."

The newfound free time afforded by partial retirement will allow James to pursue one of his favorite interests: travel. He traveled immediately after his retirement last June, and he will spend time in Ecuador this January.