Vote for Paul Hodes

To the Editor:

Charlie Bass works hard to paint an image of himself as a moderate Independent ("The Case for Base," Nov. 1), but responsible voters should consider his actual voting record, rather than his misleading statements regarding his positions.

Charlie Bass worked with the Chair of the Energy and Commerce Committee, Republican Joe Barton of Texas, to include a liability shield in the 2005 Energy Policy Act. This provision allowed the oil companies responsible for the MTBE (a potential carcinogen) contamination in nearly 2,000 of America's water systems to evade responsibility for the pollution, and placed the burden of its clean up instead on American taxpayers. Charlie Bass then voted for the House Bill, which also contained a provision in support of drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve (ANWR).

Only after a Gallup Poll showed that New Hampshire voters oppose drilling in ANWR, did the GOP release Bass from his short leash and allow him to oppose it.

If Charlie Bass were truly independent he would stick to his beliefs, and not bend at the knees when Big Oil or the Republican leadership puts pressure on him.

Paul Hodes has integrity. Vote for integrity. Vote for Paul Hodes.