Athetic director inducted into lax hall

Two members of the Big Green lacrosse family were inducted into the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame this past Saturday. Dartmouth's Director of Athletics Josie Harper and Sandy Bryan Weatherall '83 were both honored at a ceremony in Hunts Valley, Md.

Before becoming the Big Green lacrosse coach in 1981, Harper coached at the high-school level, accumulating an outstanding 39-3-4 record at Penncrest High School in Media, Penn. Harper coached lacrosse at Dartmouth until 1992, leading the Big Green to two Ivy League titles during her tenure. Harper also coached several U.S. national teams, including the 1986 World Cup Team and the 1987 National Under-21 team.

In an interview with Lacrosse Magazine, Harper credited Weatherall, who played on her national teams, for alerting her to the Dartmouth coaching job. Shortly after visiting Dartmouth, Harper left with the national team for Australia. She said she notified the athletic department via telegram that she would take the job.

Speaking to The Dartmouth after the ceremony, Harper was really appreciative of all the present and former Dartmouth and national team players that flew to Maryland to see her induction.

"It was really the perfect time and the perfect reunion of players spanning the 11 years as [head coach] at Dartmouth, as well as so many U.S. players I also coached, and many of the people I coached with in the U.S. Lacrosse program ... I consider myself so lucky," said Harper.

The national lacrosse community has previously recognized Harper's achievements. She has also been inducted into the Pennsylvania and New England lacrosse halls of fame.

Weatherall achieved great success as a player both at the collegiate and national levels. At Dartmouth, she was selected for All-Ivy League Honors three times as well as All America honors in 1982 and 1983. She currently holds the Big Green record for most points in a game (12), which she achieved against Plymouth State.

On the national level, Weatherall played for three U.S. World Cup teams and won world titles in 1982 and 1989. After her playing career, Weatherall coached at several high schools before becoming the University of New Hampshire head coach in 1993. She led New Hampshire to the ECAC runner-up title in 1994.

In an interview with Lacrosse Magazine, Weatherall credited several coaches on the high-school, collegiate and national levels for helping her develop as a player. She felt especially honored to have been selected by the national team.

"When I eventually made the team, I got my letter and ran all the way across the campus, leaping and yelling," she said to Lacrosse Magazine.

Like Harper, the national lacrosse community has honored Weatherall on previous occasions. She has already been inducted into the New England Lacrosse Hall of Fame as well as the Dartmouth Athletic Hall of Fame.

Harper and Weatherall are two of the 10 members of the Hall of Fame class of 2006 inducted this weekend.