Dartmouth at its best

To the Editor:

In The Dartmouth Editorial Board's endorsement of the new alumni constitution ("Verbum Ultimum", Sept. 22) you write that the school and the students are excelling. I'll say. By any measure, Dartmouth is at the top of its game.

The outstanding quality of the undergraduate experience is reflected in ongoing student survey results, and membership in Greek organizations is at an all-time high.

The Class of 2010 is the strongest the College has ever admitted, and Dartmouth continues to cross applications both with other Ivies and with strong undergraduate colleges. This year it was ranked ninth in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.

Nearly 51 percent of alumni gave $30.7 million to the annual fund last year, the highest participation rate since 1998. Giving by parents and grandparents was unprecedented, and the graduating class had a historic participation rate of 73 percent. Halfway through a $1.3 billion capital campaign, $738 million has been raised.

As alumni, we can ensure that Dartmouth continues to thrive by throwing our support behind the new constitution, which creates greater transparency in alumni governance, increases democracy in the alumni body, and gives us a stronger voice in the life and direction of the college.

Please join me in voting "yes" on the new alumni constitution.