Scrapped BbOne system diversely affects Hanover business

Town businesses such as EBAs have been affected by the loss of BbOne.

India Queen lost significant amounts of business after BbOne shut down, owner Bhavnesh Kaushik said.

"[BbOne] used to bring in a lot of students, and students used to make the point that they went to the places where the card was accepted," Kaushik said.

Everything But Anchovies general manager Jimbo Dowd said that the way the BbOne program was set up helped local businesses.

"It's easier for businesses to capture the money from students because, well, it is real money, but it's easier for them to spend it because it's discretionary, it's easier to spend than with a credit card," Dowd said. "Your parents knew what you were spending it on because it's discretionary funding, it's not like it's going to alcohol or anything."

Dowd said that he hoped to see another BbOne-type program emerge in the future, possibly led by the Hanover Chamber of Commerce.

Other restaurants like Molly's Restaurant and Bar and Mai Thai have seen little to no impact from BbOne's cancellation. Manager Danny Young said that Molly's had received "maybe two people a week" who paid with BbOne while Mai Thai never accepted BbOne, owner Sommay Vorachak said.

Student reactions to the cancellation ranged from miffed to indifferent. Ben Davis '08, who used BbOne about twice a week, said that he spends less money at area restaurants now.

"It's less convenient for me to buy from local businesses, but at the same time it's probably healthier not to order from EBAs twice a week," Davis said.

Alex Cushman '08 said that the high costs of Dartmouth Dining Services made eating off-campus through BbOne more attractive. Cushman also said that because his parents assumed his BbOne account was for textbooks, he was able to creatively acquire more funding for eating in town.

"I'd have money on my card for textbooks, but I'd always make sure that there was a little extra so that I could go to Molly's," Cushman said.

Dan Donoho '06 fell on the other side of the spectrum, saying that he never used BbOne. Donoho said that not only was there no advantage to BbOne over credit cards, debit cards or cash, but that adding money to the account was "just another hurdle."

The loss of the BbOne program has not had any noticeable effect on Dartmouth Dining Services and the amount students spend on food there, according to DDS Fiscal Manager Don Blume. While there was a five percent spending increase on food this year, Blume said that this was not any different from previous years.

"Students always eat more from one year to the next, whether or not those increases this year are caused by [the loss of BbOne] would be impossible to determine," Blume said. "We do such an amount of business compared to the businesses downtown that it'd be hard to see a big change."