Larimore resigns, plans to leave for Swarthmore

Dean of the College James Larimore
Dean of the College James Larimore

News of Larimore's candidacy for the Swarthmore position came to light in April, and he accepted the institution's offer for the job on Sunday. Larimore's job at Swarthmore will be similar to his post as dean of the College at Dartmouth, though he feels it may be possible to have a larger impact on a school less than half the size of the College.

"It is, I think, an easier environment [in which] to be visible and active in the campus community," he said in an interview with The Dartmouth, adding that a member of the Swarthmore community told him, "It's possible to dean more and administer less."

Larimore said his decision was largely based on personal matters, as the Swarthmore position will allow him to spend more time with his family. Swarthmore operates on a more traditional academic calendar, with two semesters per year and summers off.

"I'll have more time to be home," Larimore said, "and I hope more time to be the kind of husband and dad that I want to be."

Larimore also said that the continuity on a campus where students are not constantly coming and going will make a steady dialogue about campus issues easier to uphold.

During his seven years at the College, Larimore counts improving the relationship between students and administration and increasing diversity as two of his most significant accomplishments. He was also instrumental in bringing Josie Harper, the first female athletic director in the Ivy League, to the College.

"He was a great, loyal, helpful supporter from when I first got the position to when we announced the difficult move of cutting a team," Harper said. She emphasized Larimore's willingness to consider her department's problems and represent the administration's views cooperatively.

"When I came to him with things he didn't always agree [with], he'd help me see the larger picture," Harper said. "It's a mixed bag, because you're sad to hear that he's leaving us, but if this is good for him, then we're happy for him."

According to College President James Wright, he and Larimore had spoken about the possibility of the Dean's departure before this week, and he had expressed his desire for Larimore to continue on at Dartmouth, though he understands Larimore's position.

"He had decided to accept the offer, [and] there was nothing left for me to do but wring my hands and wish him well," Wright said. "I'm certainly going to miss him."

"I would have loved to have him around for another five years, or however many years we could have had him," Wright said.

Wright said he has not yet begun searching for a new dean of the College, but plans to in the near future.

"It really is a tremendous operation [at Dartmouth]," Wright said, "People who work day in and day out."