COS Task Force empowers students

With a student body divided over the Committee on Standards' decisions and processes, the Student Assembly is launching an initiative that aims to de-mystify the system and empower students to take a more active role in the COS.

The initiative, dubbed the COS Task Force, will be comprised of six to eight students and perform a variety of functions, all with the goal of studying COS regulations and making suggestions to the Undergraduate Office of Judicial Affairs and the Office of the Dean of the College. Students who wish to be on the committee must apply, and Assembly has already received a large number of applicants.

Adam Shpeen '07, a Student Organizations Chair for Assembly, said that the genesis of the Task Force sprung from a desire for greater student participation in the COS process.

"We came to the idea that students should have more input and some way to try and affect change," Shpeen said.

Shpeen added that he envisions the group as a entity with the knowledge and power to raise awareness about COS issues on-campus. He said that based on the Task Force's research and recommendations he hopes to see the COS seriously consider any suggested changes.

"The thrust [of the Task Force] will be towards making substantive changes both in the process and the rules that govern how the process should be adjudicated," Shpeen said.

While the Task Force hopes to add student input to the COS process, the level of student discontent with the College's disciplinary procedures might make the Task Force's mission difficult to fulfill.

Cole Springer '09, who was recently suspended for three terms for plagiarism in his Writing 3 class, said that he finds the COS process unfair.

Springer, who took no English classes his senior year at his Atlanta high school, said he handed in a rough draft of a final research paper and included no citations because he did not fully understand the assignment.

"I think they need to reevaluate the system," Springer said. "Being firm is okay because I do think that everything deserves a consequence -- if someone breaks the rules there should be a consequence, but they went way over the line with me."

Steve Pan '09, Springer's former roommate, served as a character witness for the hearing and expressed displeasure with the way his friend's case was handled.

"He [Springer] was never taught formally how to cite, and upon matriculation into college, it was expected that he knew," Pan said. "Because Dartmouth accepts people from a wide variety of educational backgrounds, they should know there are gaps between what they expect us to know and how much we really know."

In addition to general discontent regarding the overall hearing process and outcome, the issue of the availability of an advising system for accused students has also been under discussion.

Jacob Crumbine '07, who has been a student representative on the COS since last spring, said that students deserve an advising system tapered to the regulations of the student handbook.

"I would give students a better advising system beforehand so they know exactly how the COS will make their decision depending on what type of case it is," Crumbine said. "Students need to know that COS governs itself based on the language in the student hand book -- so students need to be advised as how to build their side of the case based on that."

Student Body President Noah Riner '06 highlighted the gravity of the COS' work and the importance of the Task Force.

"The decisions made by the COS can alter a student's entire life," Riner said. "We need to be certain that the way they convict students is just."