Winter Woes, Begone

Many Dartmouth students shy away from the frigid New Hampshire winters. Some even make their Dartmouth Plans so that they never have to experience the dreaded Winter term after freshman year. But for those of us who are stuck here, or, for whatever reason, actually chose to be here during this term, there's more to do than just sit inside and mope.

Contrary to popular belief, the winter does not automatically imply being holed up inside for three months. In fact, there are those (myself included) who are more active outside during the cold and snowy part of the year than in the warmer months. With a warm winter jacket on, pretty much any outdoor activity is fair game. (Well, except for those involving the grass, of course.)

For those who don't mind a few cold toes, the Dartmouth Outing Club offers hikes and other trips of varying lengths. The forestry team also practices during the Winter term; if you enjoy chopping wood, throwing axes or climbing telephone poles with only a rope and some spiky shoes, this activity may be for you. What's more, it is less time consuming than you think!

Hockey games, which unfortunately I only recently discovered, are a great way to spend a Friday or Saturday evening. What better way to occupy yourself than by shouting obscenities at the visiting team while chowing down on concession stand food that can be purchased with DBA?

For real fun in the halogen-lamp-created sun, sit as close to the glass as possible, and bang on it whenever you feel it is appropriate (read: always). In addition, keep an eye out for open skating hours at Thompson Arena. Nothing beats watching your friends fall all over the place as they attempt to emulate Kristi Yamaguchi.

I think the best part about being a Dartmouth student in the winter is that you can learn to ski, and you can do it for a fraction of what it would cost at a mountain resort. Skiing is probably the most user-friendly outdoor winter sport, because you get so bundled up before you go that 20-degree weather seems like the perfect temperature to swoosh down the hill. Skiing is fun, it's great exercise and it is possible to have the added bonus of a really attractive instructor -- under six layers of clothing, that is. (Snowboarding and telemark skiing lessons are also available).

For those who are less inclined to the cold, but are still around, this is the perfect time to get involved with one of the hundreds of indoor activities on campus. Theater productions, the Programming Board, the two radio stations, various publications, volunteer organizations and the Film Society (Bhangra on Thursdays and Saturdays looks like it will be spicier than lamb vindaloo) are all waiting and open for your participation. Getting involved now is much easier when you are not distracted by that pesky sun and warm weather.

Winter does not have to be a scary time. It brings hot chocolate, snowmen and a roaring fire in the Collis fireplace. The cold months are not just about waiting for it to get warm again. They are a whole different way of life, and one which can be easily enjoyed.