Rebuilding the Swim/Dive Team

Thank you for covering the Dartmouth men's swim/dive meet at Columbia ("Big Green swimmers fall to Ivy powerhouse Columbia," Jan. 17). The team does not get the attention other sports receive or that it deserves.

You correctly point out that the team is 0-5 this season. What you do not mention needs to be said.

First, Dartmouth is now reaping the "benefits" of the administration's 2003-04 ultimately unsuccessful and devastating decision to kill the swim program. Swimmers and divers recruited before that period have now graduated; recruiting for the next several years suffered.

Second, it is known within swim circles that if Harvard and other Ivy swim/dive programs want and "bless" you with admissions, you will be admitted. Is it any surprise that Harvard is the perennial Ivy powerhouse?

Meanwhile, the Dartmouth program has lost candidates with excellent academic credentials to Harvard and other Ivies because, unlike its competitors, Dartmouth would give candidates no indication of their status or reject them (even with 1500+ board scores).

It is not surprising, then, that although Dartmouth swimming cannot compete this year with the other Ivies, last year's squad was reported to have the highest average Division-1 grade point average in the nation.

There are two home swim meets over the two next weekends. Go! Give Dartmouth swimming and diving a loud and enthusiastic boost, even if the administration will not.