Women's soccer wins third straight in blowout fashion

With a dominating 5-0 win over the Columbia Lions (8-5-1, Ivy 2-2) Sunday, the women's soccer team improved to 10-3-1 (Ivy 3-1) on the season and extended its unbeaten streak to five games. The Homecoming victory was also the team's second straight by a score of 5-0 and kept the Big Green just one point behind Yale in the race for the Ivy League championship.

The lopsided victory continues a recent offensive explosion for Dartmouth, which has scored ten goals in the last two games. Co-captain Megan Wijas '06 and Sarah Johnson '07 each tallied two goals, and Melissa Matulich '07 also scored. Johnson's goals brought her Ivy League-leading season total to nine. She also added an assist on the final goal of the game.

"Ten goals in two games, nine of which were second half goals, is unbelievable," goalkeeper Amanda Webb '08 commented. "You could not ask for more offensive production than that. We've been shooting all season; now we are just putting more on frame."

The team's trend of late scoring continued, as Dartmouth did not put a ball in the net until the 53rd minute. After finally breaking through, the Big Green erupted to score four more within 20 minutes. After receiving a pass from Emily Tracy '07, Johnson opened the scoring outburst with a high, hard shot to the right side of the goal. Just five minutes later, Matulich notched an unassisted goal.

Dartmouth took 11 shots in the second half, eight of which were on goal, as opposed to only five in the first half. Taking more shots has been a point of emphasis for the past few games and it obviously paid off as the team kept firing away.

"The goals we've been scoring have definitely been due to taking more shots," co-captain Jennifer Tonneson '06 said. "In the past we've waited too long to take shots or tried to make one more pass. Now if our forwards see the goal, they shoot, which has given us a lot more chances."

Tracy and Johnson hooked up again in the 67th minute to give Dartmouth a 3-0 lead and all but secure the game. As Dartmouth's defense overwhelmed Columbia's attack all game, there was little doubt that the Big Green would be able to hold off the Lions. Although the first half was scoreless, it did not reflect the play on the field. Columbia did not manage a shot all half and only got off two in the second half.

"Our defense has always been outstanding," Tracy commented. "Now that we have figured things out offensively and are scoring more goals, it takes a lot of the pressure off of them."

The defense has held up very well all year, allowing only 12 goals in 14 games. The unit's effort has been highlighted over the recent unbeaten streak, allowing two goals in five games and helping Webb earn three straight shutouts.

"Our defense has been strong all year long. It makes playing behind them that much easier," Webb said. "Now and then we as keepers have to come up with a big save, but that's our job."

Not letting up with a three-goal lead, the defense kept the ball in Columbia's half of the field and allowed Wijas to tally her two goals late in the second half. Wijas scored in the 71st minute and then came right back to score again in the 73rd.

With two straight impressive wins, the Big Green has gathered a lot of momentum heading into the final matches of the season. Each remaining game is against an Ivy League opponent and is therefore crucial in the team's pursuit of a league title.

"Our team has a lot of momentum and we're confident that we can do well, but we're only taking one game at a time," Tonneson added. "Each new game is the biggest one of the year as far as we're concerned, so we don't take any of them lightly."

If Dartmouth can win out in its final three games, the women in green will overtake Yale and win the Ivy championship, guaranteeing them a birth in the NCAA tournament.

"We're peaking at the perfect time right now," Webb remarked. "We keep taking our game to the next level every time we step onto the field, and if that continues for the next three games we'll be in a very good situation at the end of our season and when NCAA's roll around."

The Big Green takes the first step towards post-season play Saturday when the squad travels to Cambridge to take the field against Harvard.