The Best Ways to Escape the Dartmouth Bubble

I would like to introduce you to the one element of my life at Dartmouth that has meant the most to me: the Dartmouth Outing Club. It has been a wonderful way to become comfortable with the wilderness in which we are situated in, with my capabilities as a person and with the changes that time brings to all lives. The people I've met, the things I've accomplished with them and countless lessons learned have been an amazing return on the time I've spent playing outside with the Outing Club.

You may currently find yourself wondering exactly what the Outing Club is and what it does. Founded in 1909 to promote interest in outdoor activities, the Outing Club is an umbrella organization which coordinates a number of outdoors-related clubs. A few of these clubs are Bait and Bullet for hunting and fishing, Cabin and Trail for hiking and trailwork, the Cycling Club for road and mountain biking, the Dartmouth Mountaineering Club for rock and ice climbing, the Ledyard Canoe Club for whitewater and flatwater kayaking and canoeing and Ski Patrol, which patrols the Dartmouth Skiway and provides medical expertise.

If you're interested in almost any type of outdoor activity, there is some facet of the Outing Club that does it. I've found that I go a little stir-crazy if I can't get outside fairly frequently. The Outing Club runs enough trips that it's normally very easy to find something interesting and fun to do without too much of a time commitment. One of the simplest and easiest is to spend the night in one of the Outing Club's ten cabins. There's something about waking up in a simpler place that makes the normal stresses of life seem more remote. Another fun way to de-stress is to go on a trailwork or Harris Cabin construction trip. Where else but Dartmouth can you help build a log cabin in your spare time? A little canoeing or kayaking on the Connecticut River is a great way to take in some beautiful scenery and cool off during hot Hanover days.

One of my personal favorites is Cabin and Trail's weekly sunrise or sunset hikes. Although they take only a couple hours, they still comprise the most beauty I have yet seen.

Beyond the simple pleasure of being outside, I would have to say that the largest reward of involvement in the Outing Club is getting to know your fellow adventurers in the out-of-doors. I've found that they are friendly, knowledgeable and fun-loving.

Attending a club's meetings is one of the best ways to meet people with similar interests as well as to find out what will be happening that week. Many clubs run feeds, events at which you can get a delicious home-cooked dinner for only $3, as well as other social events such as movie or game nights. Another fun part of participating in the Outing Club is raiding, which is an informal activity involving amusing and creative pranks between and within Outing Club clubs.

Getting outside with the Outing Club, whether for half a day once or on a regular basis, is something that can only add to your education. Part of being a well-rounded person is the sort of comfort with one's surrounding and companions that outdoor activity brings. Enjoy the wonderful experiences you're about to have during Outing Club Trips and always remember that the Outing Club is here for you.