Changes in store for College Greens

The Dartmouth College Greens, a nonpartisan student activism organization, is undergoing several changes this term beginning with a new name.

The group voted in a meeting Sunday night to change its name to the Dartmouth College Progressives now that they are no longer affiliated with the national Green Party.

Progressives members said the new name will allow the organization to better disseminate its messages.

"We are looking to recruit, expand and become generally more effective. We want to change the culture of activism at Dartmouth," Niral Shah '08 said.

The Greens, sponsored by the College's Council on Student Organizations, were founded in 2001 to be affiliated with the Green Party.

Although members could not identify when their ties to the national party ended, the organization did not support Green Party candidate Ralph Nader in the 2004 presidential election.

"The group took an active role in the 2004 election by supporting the Democratic Party," Progressives member Libby Hadzima '06 said.

"That's when it became pretty clear that we weren't affiliated with the Green Party.

Still, the organization's members chose to call themselves the Greens. "There was a lot of momentum that went with the name," Shah said. "But the Green Party was somewhat vilified by Nader in the 2004 election."

As times changed, so did the group's goals and mission, though it continues to share most of the Green Party's values.

"We don't have any direct campaigns that we are involved with. The group is completely directed by the kids in the group and what they are interested in," Progressives member Janet Smith '08 said.

In addition to environmental issues, Smith said the group holds a weekly antiwar demonstration and works closely with the Darfur Action Group.

According to Shah, the organization also hopes to spread awareness about the role of Jim Merkel, the College's sustainability director, and convince the community of the necessity of his role.

As a nonpartisan group, the Progressives are also interested in hosting debates between right-wing and left-wing groups on campus.

Some potential topics include responses to Hurricane Katrina, political theories and future campaigns.

"We ultimately want to involve as much of the Dartmouth community as possible and pull people together," Shah said.

The Progressives are led by secretary Amelia Potvin '08, outreach chair Katrina Roi '08, communications chair Niral Shah '08 and faculty advisor Bruce Nelson, a history professor.

The Progressives are a platform for activism where people can bring their projects and get support, funding and guidance, Smith said.

"A lot of people are passionate about certain issues but are not sure how to act," she said. "Well-informed, well-meaning people don't always translate to action."

The group aims to provide a source of tangible action for idealists on campus, Shah said.

"We are about actualizing idealism, as opposed to just having beliefs," Shah said.

The Progressives will hold the first meeting of the term on Monday, Oct. 3, at 8 p.m. in Dartmouth 205.