Sophomore summer falls short of expectations, study claims

Shattering the myth of "Camp Dartmouth" and the rumors of graduated sophomores, an internal Dartmouth study reveals that sophomores returning to Hanover for their sophomore summer often encounter disappointment.

The Office of Undergraduate Evaluation and Research, led by John Pryor '84, collected data over the 2001, 2002, and 2003 Summer terms. The findings indicate that students often encounter disappointment when reality replaces expectation. Lauren Kaufman '07 echoed such sentiments.

"It was hyped up too much," Kaufman said. "At times I feel as if [I have more work] than I had Spring term."

Kaufman added that at times she finds "sophomore hell" a more suitable label for the term.

Pryor's study compares student expectations regarding social, extracurricular and academic aspects of sophomore summer to the reality they experienced.

According to the study, 81 percent of students questioned expected to bond with their class, 73 percent expected to find more time for extracurricular activities and 65 percent expected that Summer term academics would be less time-consuming.

In each of these respects, Pryor found that students perceptions fell short of reality.

A post-survey found that only 53 percent of students felt a greater connection with their class, a 28 percent drop from expectations. Forty-nine percent of students found more time for extracurricular activities, down 24 percent from expectations. Only 35 percent of students spent less time on academic work, reflecting the highest drop from expectations, 30 percent.

The study also found that 17 percent of students saw less of the countryside than expected and 13 percent of students drank less alcohol than they had anticipated.

Not all findings were negative. Student expectations were realized in meeting new people and interaction with faculty.

Approximately 30 percent of students polled both expected and experienced greater faculty interaction, and approximately 75 percent both expected to and did make new acquaintances

Meaghan Ferrick '07 is one student who said she has benefited from stronger class unity and new forging relationships.

"I definitely feel like I have more of a face for our class," Ferrick said. "You can't go anywhere without knowing someone."

Sophomores cited a more laid-back atmosphere on campus as the biggest benefit of summer term, and many attributed this atmosphere to spending more time in off-campus houses, having fewer athletic commitments and being outdoors more often.

The study suggests that students who begin the summer with realistic expectations seem happy with what they find. Heather Strack '07 offers such a case for the current sophomore class.

"The atmosphere on campus rocks," Strack said. "Yes there is work. We are in school -- no one should be so unrealistic as to expect no work. But everyone in general is more relaxed -- students, professors and the administration."

Pryor was careful to emphasize the difference between disappointed expectations and general disappointment.

"In this particular section of the report, we were looking at expectations [versus] reality, and so you are bound to have more disappointment because people tend to have high expectations of college in general," Pryor said. "In general people were positive about Summer term."