Prouty raises $700,000 for cancer

This past Saturday, some 2,000 bike riders and walkers, alongside 220 volunteers, braved the rain and raised over $700,000 for cancer research at the 24th annual Prouty Fitness Bike Ride and Fitness Walk.

"The Prouty" is the signature fund-raising event of the Friends of Norris Cotton Cancer Center, a philanthropic group that raises money, sponsors community events and provides patient services in an effort to find a cure for cancer.

The walk is dedicated in honor of Audrey Prouty, a former patient who died from cancer over two decades ago.

"Her nurses admired her courage and the way she approached the disease," Michelle Manning, program coordinator for the Friends said in an interview with The Dartmouth.

The benefit dates back to 1981, when four nurses biked 100 miles and raised $4,000 for cancer research.

"The event has grown quite a bit since then," Manning said.

While the majority of participants hail from New Hampshire and Vermont, some groups came to the event from as far as New York City and Chicago. Fund-raisers opted to walk either as individuals or in teams.

The event began on Friday with a "Pre-Prouty Carbo-Loading Party," sponsored by Lui Lui restaurant at the Dartmouth Medical School campus. Participants then chose to bike along the Connecticut River on scenic 100-, 50-, or 25-mile paths. Walkers -- and some runners -- chose either 10K or 5K routes.

Mats Lemberger '06 rode the full 100-mile circuit and said he was thrilled by the turnout despite the wet weather.

"There was a lot of positive spirit in the air which you could really feel," Lemberger said. "It was inspiring to see familiar faces from the community along the way."

Each path began and ended at the DMS campus. Along the way, participants relaxed and enjoyed refreshments at various themed "stop and go" areas hosted by volunteers.

Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority hosted one of the eight stops. Dressed in "tackies," a house tradition, the sisters provided water, Gatorade, fruit and other snacks to over 300 people.

Despite the rain, "everyone was friendly and in great moods," KDE Philanthropy Chair Lindsay Winingham '07 said.

Other groups within the Dartmouth community also became involved. The Summer Enrichment at Dartmouth program raised over $4,100 for the cancer center. SEAD was awarded a prize and recognized as the team with the most new participants.

"Everyone was excited for the walk and completed -- and sometimes exceeded -- their personal goals," SEAD program coordinator Annie Delehanty '06 said.

All the money collected by "The Prouty" will be donated to research efforts at the Cotton Cancer Center. Manning emphasized the importance of the benefit and offered thanks to its faithful supporters.

"Overall, the event was a great success, and we are grateful to all those who participated," she said.