Record group of '55s returns to Hanover for reunion

As seniors prepare to leave Dartmouth, alumni will return this weekend to reconnect with their classmates and their alma mater. Among the many coming to campus, around 440 alumni from the class of 1955 and their spouses are expected to arrive for their 50th reunion.

The group may be the third largest class reunion at Dartmouth, after very high turnouts in 2004 and 2003, according to Reunion Chairman John French.

One of the weekend's highlights was Saturday's luncheon on Baker Lawn, where president Woody Goss '55 presented monetary gifts from his class to the College and the graduating class of 2005.

"I think [the class gift to the College] will set a record for contributions in a reunion year and then some," French said.

To show their appreciation for the class, the College will host a rich schedule of entertainment, lectures and services celebrating the legacy of Dartmouth.

On Thursday the Dartmouth Outing Club sponsored a night of eating and hiking at Moosilauke Ravine Lodge for the more intrepid alumni.

Other events included sporting activities organized by the alumni themselves. On Saturday Dick Mount '55, the only working tennis professional in the class, organized a tennis tournament where his fellow classmates can compete once again. Doug Melville '55, a "scratch golfer" as described by French, and a football player while at Dartmouth, ventured away from his old Memorial Stadium stomping ground to organize a golfing tournament. These sporting events had attendance ranging from 30 to 45 participants.

Throughout the weekend, alumni will be able to attend a number of talks and panel discussions, which will features speakers drawn primarily from the class of '55. These will include panels on terrorism in our lives, drinking at Dartmouth and the meaning of a liberal arts education.

The class will also gather for more reflective experiences as they memorialize 142 classmates and spouses of classmates, a typical number for a class from the 1950s according to French. This service will be officiated by three reverends from among the class, Reverend James Cavanaugh '55, Reverend Joseph Herring '55 and Reverend Roy Nyren '55.

French categorized his class as one that had maintained a deep connection with their peers and Dartmouth itself.

"The class has a great many diverse people, but I would say what defines our class is our affection and respect for each other and our respect and affection for the College," French said. "We may sometimes disagree with the College, but we do not lose our affection and respect."