They Opened the Gate

The op-ed title and last sentence offered by Geoffrey Berlin '84 in his piece yesterday ("Tear Down These Rules," May 16) alludes to the famous Brandenburg Gate speech Peter Robinson '79 wrote for President Reagan in 1987. Immediately preceding its call on Mikhail Gorbachev -- then-General Secretary of the Communist Party -- to "tear down this wall," the speech invited Gorbachev to come to the gate and open it if he sought peace, prosperity and liberalization. I would submit that Robinson and Todd Zywicki '88 do not need to be called upon to tear down the wall of an antiquated, insular alumni election process.

They came to that gate first and thousands of alumni applauded their candor and resolve, supported their candidacies, and helped them open a gate on the other side of which is openness and democracy in the College's alumni governance.

We are now on our way to reforms that embrace emerging communication technologies and a devoted and ambitious alumni body. Not merely election reforms, but increased alumni notification and participation across the board. I think in his article Berlin was speaking more to the legitimacy of the process than to the legitimacy of Robinson and Zywicki. And his specific recommendation of a ranking process for candidates certainly merits consideration.

In short, while I appreciate Berlin's continued desire to participate in the life of the College, I think his calling on Robinson and Zywicki to pursue reform in the name of openness and democracy is tantamount to calling on Pope Benedict to revere God. By their words and actions already, there is no question in my mind that reform is coming. On the other hand, a public call to keep them honest is what open, democratic alumni governance is all about.