Men's heavyweight crew captures coveted Cochrane Cup

Both the men's heavyweight and lightweight crew teams experienced stiff competition this weekend. With a home meet on the Connecticut River, the heavyweight team sought the Cochrane Cup for the first time since 2001. However, MIT and Wisconsin tried everything in their powers to prevent Dartmouth from claiming this title.

Christening its new shell, the Jonathan Moore '54, Dartmouth was poised and ready to race well. However, the Badgers took the early lead in the varsity eight race. They eventually let the lead slip away at the 800 meter point. With MIT never in serious contention, the Big Green made its move at the halfway mark and eventually spurted ahead with 400 meters to go. Posting an impressive 5:13.4, Dartmouth out-rowed both Wisconsin and MIT, who raced 5:18.4 and 5:28.1 respectively.

Wisconsin proved to be a little stronger than Dartmouth in the JV and freshman eight races. Capturing the victory in both races, Wisconsin bested both Dartmouth, who placed second, and MIT, who came up empty in all three races.

The lightweight crew team, however, fared much worse. Competing against Cornell University for the Baggaley Bowl, the Big Green was swept in all four races. Rowing a solid race, the varsity eight squad was outlasted by the Big Red, whose 5:56.4 was just too swift for Dartmouth's 6:10.1.

The other three races proved to be even closer than the varsity eight race. The Big Green's second varsity team lost by a mere eight seconds to Cornell's counterpart. Likewise, a scanty seven seconds was all that separated the victorious Big Red squad from the Dartmouth in what turned out to be a hard fought freshman eight race. In the fourth and final race of the afternoon, the Cornell A team bested Dartmouth's third varsity squad, which managed to overcome the Cornell B team. Only six seconds behind the leader, the Big Green took home second place in this race.

The lightweight squad will have an off week next week. With an upcoming match in Worcester, Mass., Dartmouth looks to make a serious splash at the Eastern Sprints Regatta on May 15. After this disappointing weekend, the Big Green is more than ready to improve and be in contention for this coveted title.