Kappa sponsors breast cancer benefit

Scores of students took advantage of a rare sunny day on Saturday to participate in Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority's third annual Breast Cancer Walk/Run. The fundraiser revolved around a 5,000-meter race that started at the Collis Student Center and passed through passed by Occom Pond and through Pine Park.

Entrants were required to make a minimum donation of $10, but many donated more. According to event co-chair Tessa Steel '06, the event raised roughly $1,100 for a local cancer treatment center.

While prizes were offered to the first four finishers of the race, participants were invited to complete the course at their own pace.

"I passed a woman who said she was a breast cancer survivor and thanked me for participating," Julia Hecht '08, who walked the course, said. "It's a really meaningful event."

After completing the race, participants hungrily devoured a buffet of bagels donated by Bagel Basement while listening to the music of DJ Ben Waters '06.

"The organizers of the race did a wonderful job of creating a great atmosphere for such a good cause," said Bart van Veghel '06, who ran the course with several other members of the men's cross country team. "Causes like these are so important, and often very close to home, so I was glad that I was able to participate in what was a very successful event."

In addition to the race, the event included a T-shirt sale and raffle. Raffle prizes ranged from a night at the Norwich Bed and Breakfast to tickets to a New Jersey Nets basketball game.

Teresa Delgado '06, a member of Kappa who co-chaired the event, said that T-shirt sales alone raised $650. Steel said the sorority is considering ordering more T-shirts to sell during senior week.

"We were very fortunate to have so many great donations," said Cameron Houser '07, who also co-chaired the event for Kappa.

All of the proceeds of the event will go to the Norris Cotton Cancer Center. A part of the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, the cancer center is one of just 39 comprehensive cancer facilities in the United States. In addition to treating patients who suffer from all forms of cancer, the center is devoted to extensive research about the causes and possible prevention or cures of the disease.

"Over the past three years, we have developed a strong relationship with the people at the Norris Cotton Cancer Center, and plan to collaborate with them in more ways in the future," co-chair Jennifer John said. "This relationship has opened opportunities for Kappas interested in science and medicine to become matched up with people who work at the center."