College investigates Tri-Delt, TDX hazing

Representatives from Theta Delta Chi fraternity and Delta Delta Delta sorority will appear in a closed hearing before the Organizational Adjudication Committee Thursday to face College charges of misconduct that allegedly occurred during the fall pledge term.

Police investigated both organizations for the duration of Fall term, but the houses were cleared of criminal charges in early January.

Today's hearing is a continuation of the College's own investigation, suspended when Dartmouth uncovered information that potentially violated the New Hampshire state hazing statute and then reported the findings to the Hanover Police Department, in accordance with state law.

According to Hanover Police, Tri-Delt pledges were required to perform a provocative dance for Theta Delt members, but the act did not involve nudity or touching. Despite these findings, the police investigation did not uncover circumstances that would violate the state law against hazing, and the criminal charges against the organizations were dropped.

Dartmouth's hazing statute encompasses a broader spectrum than the state law, College officials said, emphasizing that the context of the incident will figure prominently in determining if the dancing violated College standards of conduct policy.

April Thompson, interim director of the Undergraduate Judicial Affairs Office, did not respond to requests for comment.

The OAC consists of six faculty members and 12 members of the junior and senior classes. Should either members of the organizations or the organizations as a whole be found guilty, they could face probation, removal of officers or suspension of recognition. In 2001, Zeta Psi fraternity lost their College recognition after being found guilty of allegations that did not incur criminal charges.

Tri-Delt president Megan Escherich '05 said she could not comment on the trial due to the closed nature of the hearing. Matt Nicholson '05, president of Theta Delt, did not respond to requests for comment.

Today's trial comes in the wake of the recent grand jury indictment of Theta Delt for serving alcohol to minors earlier this term. The organization faces five felony level offenses for the incident, which prompted a "Good Samaritan" call to Safety and Security.