A Roof over Every Head

To the Editor:

Robert Butts' op-ed ("Food, Clothing and " Feb. 22) chose to omit certain facts from his evaluation of Dartmouth housing. He stated: "Until Dartmouth's housing shortage is finally and fully addressed, students have every reason to continue demanding that the creation of more housing be placed at the top of the College's construction priorities." I think Mr. Butts hasn't been to the north side of campus, where they have broken ground in the old Maynard lot to create new dorms -- I believe somewhere in the range of 500 new beds.

While it is a bummer to be on the housing waitlist, this isn't an issue that the College hasn't noticed. The people in the Office of Residential Life and Operations are some of the most helpful people I've met at Dartmouth and try to assure the students that no one will be without housing -- the College keeps open extra rooms for the freshmen that become available to upperclass students after they get a final count on the freshman class.

This isn't a problem that the College isn't trying to solve as we speak. Rising sophomores -- you should try applying for affinity houses (which don't always fill up -- Cutter Shabazz, the international house, Foley House, LALACS), if you're so inclined! Or, fear not -- you'll get housing I am sure!