Administrators insist CFS to remain wet

The perception that the college Greek experience revolves around alcohol has persisted since "Animal House" immortalized the fraternity system in the 1970s. But some colleges nationally are seeking to combat the college binge drinking mentality by taking a drastic and decisive step: banning alcohol on campuses and in Greek systems.

In response to a recent rash of alcohol-related student deaths nationally -- the most recent of which occurred at the University of Eastern Michigan in early January -- several colleges have mandated or considered mandating dry campuses. Dartmouth's Greek leaders were alerted to an incident at the University of Oklahoma by BlitzMail messages from Safety and Security Officer Greg Timmins on two separate occasions during Fall term.

The e-mails described Oklahoma's decision to ban campus drinking in the wake of student death from alcohol poisoning. In the first BlitzMail message, Timmins wrote that, although perceptions that the administration is attempting to eradicate the Greek system are not correct, "let something like this happen here, and it could be."

In 1991, an intoxicated Dartmouth student drowned in the Connecticut River after drinking at a party in the Choates, but Dean of Student Life Joe Cassidy said he was "not aware of any individual or group that is currently considering or has previously considered making Dartmouth's CFS system dry."

This year marks the fifth year of the controversial Student Life Initiative, which College President James Wright once claimed would "end the Greek system as we know it." The Trustee committee that developed the Initiative set 2005 as a date to reconsider "whether selective social organizations should continue to be recognized by the College," according to their report.

The Delta Delta Delta sorority and Theta Delta Chi fraternity hazing allegations, a wave of social probations during Fall term and dangerous blood alcohol levels that required ambulance transportation to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center at Sigma Delta sorority this summer and Theta Delt last week suggest that Dartmouth's fraternity system has reason to take Timmins' message to heart.

Timmins said his main reason for sending the BlitzMail messages, while not trying to scare people, was to make Greek members aware of the dire consequences a few drinks can have.

"Everyone needs to be careful," Timmins said, "because there's some scary stuff going on. God forbid [someone dies] here -- we've come close a few times. We've been lucky; other places haven't. I just want them to realize this could happen."

Emphasizing the value of the Good Samaritan policy in ensuring it does not occur, Timmins estimated the policy is only utilized a few times per month.

"That's why we have the policy, so that students get help they need instead of turning them away," he said. "We want people to use it and to know it's out there. The important thing is to make sure they use it."

Timmins said those who attend parties at Greek houses, rather than Greeks themselves, are most at risk for alcohol-related incidents.

Citing first-year students as a particular concern, Timmins said the type of drinking that occurs at Dartmouth lends itself to apprehension.

"People tend to take it to the max here," Timmins said. "It's not going out and having a few social drinks, it's going out every night and getting drunk. Every college and university has problems with it."

With this in mind, what remains when alcohol is removed from the College social scene? If the Greek system went dry would it cease to exist -- and if it survived, would anyone on campus want to be a part of it?

Cassidy, citing the fact there has been no discussion or plans to create a dry Greek system, declined to speculate as to what campus would be like if this were to happen.

While some say that the camaraderie and bonding between members of Greek organizations would persist without alcohol, there is no doubt that the social nature of the system, which revolves heavily around alcohol, is important to members and the campus.

"A dry Greek house would offer almost nothing except perhaps a place to live and the company of others who are opposed to having fun," said Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity member Matt Staffier '05. "You can get that in East Wheelock."

People who pledged dry or do not drink also said alcohol was an important part of campus life.

"Alcoholic parties, even for non-drinkers, are just more fun and attendance is higher," said Chi Heorot fraternity member Brian McCarthy '05. "A frat is not a frat because of alcohol, but without the social option to drink on weekends, frats would be less desirable for other students."

At Northwestern, some fraternity houses are dry, as mandated by their national chapters, while others are wet. Staffier said if the SAE national organization required its chapters to go dry, the Dartmouth chapter would "probably change our letters and become local."

The sorority system at Dartmouth is a microcosm of a scenario similar to Northwestern's, and the national houses thrive despite the fact they cannot have alcohol in their houses. The decision between national and local is an important one for rushees, but it's not always about the alcohol.

"Being able to drink in my house did play on my decision," said Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority member Alex Stein '06. "I didn't want to have to deal with hiding my actions and breaking the rules."

Students say that reducing the role of alcohol in the Greek system would not solve alcohol-related problems on campus, however. If anything, it would make it more difficult to regulate alcohol consumption.

"We would find other ways to have parties," Stein said. "To get around the rules, [we would] go off campus or in rented spaces. It wouldn't get rid of alcohol, it would just make it an inconvenience."

"It would be like high school all over again," said Sigma Delt member Kate Huyett '05.

Moving drinking off campus would make it more difficult for the College to monitor drinking, as well.

"If frats weren't allowed to have parties, there would be parties off campus and we'd be unable to watch out for unsafe acts," Timmins said.

Arthur Peterson '05, who is unaffiliated, agreed. "I'm sure the College is aware that underage and student drinking will occur; the important thing for the College is that it is done in a safe environment," he said.

Greek parties primarily revolve around beer, as opposed to hard alcohol, but it is likely that this would change if the Greek system were dry, with drinking occurring in dorms or off-campus. The sophomore who died from alcohol consumption in 1991 was drinking at a room party.

While eradicating alcohol does not seem to be an effective way to address drinking on college campuses, most people would prefer that the Greek system stays wet.

"Some of my friends love drinking together and do it quite often, and some have no problem not drinking and still having fun," said Peterson.

"In that sense, I guess that alcohol is not crucial to the fraternity system, but it certainly makes it more fun and sociable."