Dartmouth Television revamps this year's programming

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, The Amazing Race, The Bachelor and Fear Factor: These are just a few of the television shows stations have debuted in an attempt to lure viewers to their channels. Soon, Dartmouth Television will offer a new docket of original programming also, it attempts to revamp its image and gain a broader audience.

DTV, which is continuously broadcast on channel 13, is available at all residence halls and in Collis and Thayer Dining Hall. After a group of students started the station in 1998, DTV went on to win an award for best new student organization the following year.

More recently, however, the station has been keeping a low profile, and many sophomores and juniors who spoke with The Dartmouth were not aware it existed.

Programming directors Alice Mathias '07 and Darya Fuks '07 want to change that. They plan to broadcast a comedy program, similar to major networks' late-night talk shows, a Dartmouth soap opera, a sitcom based on "Curb Your Enthusiasm," and weekly DTV news program reporting campus, local, national and international news.

"Ultimately we would love to team up with The Dartmouth for 'The D on DTV,'" Fuks said.

DTV will also air live campus events, movies, student performances, improvisational comedy, news satire, and campus documentaries, Fuks said.

One upcoming production that DTV currently has in the works is "Dartmouth Apollo Idol," a talent show aired in cooperation with the African American Society.

Talent auditions will be held Oct. 23, and DTV will broadcast the auditions the week before Apollo Night. Dartmouth students will vote to choose who will appear on Apollo Night.

Fuks said that while the station has grand visions for the coming year, it needs the help of committed and talented students. She urged freshmen and other students to get involved.