Sexual Assault at Dartmouth

A typical misconception about sexual violence is that it is perpetrated by creepy men hiding behind trees and buildings at night waiting for random victims to walk by, alone. Though this is the case with some sexual assaults, the reality is that the typical perpetrator of a sexual assault is an acquaintance, a friend or a dating partner. Sexual assaults occur here at Dartmouth on a regular basis. Perpetrators are fellow students, alums and visiting friends. The vast majority of victims are women, and this means we must always be alert and aware of our surroundings; trust your instincts. Always travel in groups and keep an eye on your friends; always leave with everyone you came with. Keep track of your drink and always keep in mind that alcohol is the most commonly used "rape drug." If someone is intoxicated, she is unable to consent. Look out for each other; if someone at a party looks like she is in an unsafe situation, intervene. These are some of the small steps that we can take in hopes of reducing the likelihood of sexual assault in any situation.

If you are assaulted, there are people on campus that can help you. You may feel unsafe, lonely, ashamed or think that no one will believe you. Remember, sexual assault is never your fault and there are people you can talk to. Contact the Sexual Abuse Awareness Program. You can speak to the program director, Abby Tassel, or one of the many student Sexual Abuse Peer Advisors.

Ultimately, the only way that sexual violence will stop is if perpetrators stop perpetrating. We must identify and stop the attitudes and behaviors that create an environment in which sexual violence occurs unquestioned. Normative beliefs about sex, sexuality and gender roles are the underlying problem. Together we need to change these problematic attitudes to dismantle the culture that is allowing this horrendous behavior to continue.