Online textbooks provide money-saving alternative

After spending $400 at Wheelock Books so far this term, Jackie Olson '07 is ready for an alternative.

Thanks to a new program that lets students purchase and read textbooks online, Olson and peers around the country now have a cheaper option.

Pearson Education, a leading publisher of college textbooks has unveiled a program that will allow students to buy digital textbooks at half the price of print editions.

In a town that now has just one textbook store since the Dartmouth Bookstore stopped selling texts several years ago, many Dartmouth students said they welcome an option that saves money and time spent waiting for hard-copy tests to arrive.

Some students said they were eager for the chance to reduce the sheer weight of books they need to tote around campus.

Rob Manning '07 said the size and thickness of a textbook is a key determinant when deciding to buy from Pearson's SafariX Webbook program or Wheelock Books.

The company ties the service with an older Alternate Print Edition program, which allows students to buy streamlined books that are up to 75 percent cheaper than the full-weight versions. Alternatively, they can buy three-hole punched textbooks, also lighter than hardcover versions.

The program appeals to some students who said they prefer not to read texts online.

"I'd prefer to get concrete books," said Mike Lee '08. "It feels better to read off a book than on a screen where you constantly have to scroll down."

Wendy Spiegel, Senior Vice President of Communications for Pearson Education, said the company is optimistic about the digital program's success, given the growing demand for alternative textbook options.

The company hopes to attract the attention of professors by offering several services that allow faculty more control over their textbooks and classes, both online and in print, according to Will Ethridge, president of Pearson's Higher Education, International, and Professional Group. Currently, it offers a service that lets professors can put together their own textbooks from Pearson copyrighted content, write their own instructional material or reorganize existing material in Pearson textbooks.