'04's screenplay wins 1st prize in Ivy Film Festival

Screenwriter Snowden C. Wright '04 doesn't hesitate to describe himself as talented -- and many people, including the judges for the Ivy Film Festival, would agree.

Wright's screenplay, "The Hurricane Party," won Best Feature Screenplay at this year's festival, held from April 9 through April 11 at Brown University.

The screenplay's focus is "sex and drugs -- my two favorite things in the world," Wright said.

The screenplay centers around the affair between a drug-dealer and a woman who is already dating a wealthy, older man.

According to Wright, what he learned in Dartmouth's Screenwriting 1 and 2 classes helped distinguish his screenplay from the other contest entries. "[The courses] gave me an understanding of dialogue and character developments, and how to structure a [screenplay]," said Wright.

Screenplays entered into the contest are judged on story, dialogue and character by various agencies, management firms and production companies. The five best screenplays are sent to Beverly Hills, where they are evaluated by the Genesis literary agency and other management firms.

"The Hurricane Party" took Wright about ten weeks to complete. The first screenplay he ever wrote, "Pay the Queen," was a semi-finalist in the festival's Short Screenplay category last year.

After graduation, Wright had initially planned to work in publishing. But since his win at the festival, he has been hearing from managers and agents who, according to Wright, "want to collect a stable of young writers." Wright says he might pursue screenwriting as a career. "It depends on how many offers I get," Wright said, "but it seems auspicious."

Wright, who is an English major focusing on creative writing, is currently working on his thesis, a 150-page novel. The novel, set in Memphis, is about two brothers coming to terms with an inheritance from their father.

The Ivy Film Festival was started in 2001 by two Brown University students.

According to the festival's website, "The screenwriting contest is designed to give undiscovered scriptwriters exposure and a chance to have their talent discovered." A cash prize is also given to winners to "assist [them] in the pursuit of further creative endeavors."

Celebrities who attended the festival this year include Adrien Brody, academy award winner for "The Pianist," Wes Craven, director of "Nightmare on Elm Street" and the "Scream" series, and Brett Ratner, director of "Rush Hour."