Kerry rails against Bush in Sat. speech

Presidential hopeful John Kerry gave a harsh response to Republican criticism that he was unpatriotic in speaking out against the war in Iraq during a speech Saturday afternoon in Cook Auditorium.

"I'm not gonna let Tom DeLay and the rest of [the Republican-led Congress] define patriotism for Democrats and for America when they are leaving countless numbers of veterans waiting months to see a doctor for the first time," Kerry said.

The Bush administration's reliance on military prowess in international affairs is inconsistent with its neglect for army veterans, Kerry said. He railed against the Bush administration for raising enrollment fees for military health benefits access -- a move he said has affected over 400,000 veterans.

"The first definition of patriotism is keeping faith for the people who wore the uniform for their country," Kerry said.

Kerry received roaring applause when he defended his vote against a Republican-led late-term abortion bill signed into law in the fall. Kerry said that he would have supported the bill if it had provisions to protect the woman's health.

"I don't think a whole lot of male legislators who are ideological should be determining a woman's reproductive rights," Kerry said.

Much of the speech was directed at President Bush, particularly in regard to what Kerry called Bush's attempts to make national security a seminal issue in the 2004 general election.

"I will remind him that I know something about aircraft carriers for real," said Kerry, a decorated Vietnam War veteran. "And if [national security] is what he wants to debate in our country... then I've got three words for him that I know he understands -- bring it on."

Kerry's visit to Hanover came at the same time as a resurgence in his popularity, buoyed by a surprise first-place showing in the Iowa caucuses. Perhaps a reflection of his recent gains, Cook Auditorium was filled to capacity for the senator's speech and the question-and-answer session that followed. Both the auditorium and the closed-circuit viewing sites elsewhere on campus were filled to capacity more than one hour prior to his appearance.

That same day, Kerry received a key endorsement by the League of Conservation Voters.

Before entertaining questions, Kerry highlighted his stances on what he considered to be four key issues of his candidacy -- lobbying, healthcare, energy sources and education.

Lobbyists and political action committees have plagued Washington politics, according to Kerry, who said he wants to "restore the quality of our democracy in America."

His first order of business as president, Kerry said, would be to issue an executive order barring government officials from becoming lobbyists for five years after leaving office, in order to limit the power of special interest groups.

On healthcare, Kerry said he would strive to create a healthcare system that offers every American the same access to healthcare as members of Congress receive.

The United States also needs to step up its pursuit of alternate energy sources, Kerry said, citing the fact that the United States, with the world's most robust and oil-dependent economy, only produces 3 percent of the world's oil supply.

On education, Kerry suggested an age zero through eight comprehensive early childhood program in order to prevent students from falling behind in early grade school.