Alum brings wraps eatery to town

Less than two months after the opening of the Canoe Club, Hanover is expecting another addition to its dining scene. The Wrap, serving primarily wraps and burritos, will open its doors by February's end, said Jonathan Edwards, Hanover planning and zoning director.

Located on 35 South Main Street, once home to Patrick Henry's, The Wrap will be the ninth in a chain of restaurants mostly located in the proximity of college campuses in the Boston area.

The Wrap CEO John Pepper '91, Tu'97 was one of three men who founded the chain in 1997. Pepper, who recently bought a house in Hanover, will be proprietor of the soon-to-open restaurant.

"I guess he wanted to come back," Edwards said.

Pepper himself could not be reached for a comment.

According to Edwards, the proposal for opening a Hanover branch of The Wrap was filed in the fall and approved very quickly. The eatery will open as soon as an ongoing renovation of the building is complete.

The Wrap expects to attract a diverse crowd of both members of the community and Dartmouth students, Edwards said.

The restaurant will reportedly be open for breakfast. In addition to wraps and burritos, it will offer salads, soups and smoothies. Customers will also be able to make a catering order or request a delivery.

Despite its modest advertisement, which comes down to a sign framed in glass and buried in a pile of snow right in front of the building, most Hanover residents and Dartmouth students contacted by The Dartmouth said they knew about The Wrap.

"I miss Patrick Henry's a lot. It was my favorite place in town," said Julia Brant '04, "but I guess the new place will be a break from cafeteria food for Dartmouth students."

DDS Director Tucker Rossiter said that The Wrap will offer more variety to Dartmouth students.

"Students are here for a better part of four years. We cannot expect to be the sole provider of meals for them," Rossiter said.

As a new addition to the Hanover dining scene, The Wrap will affect how students eat off-campus more than how they eat on campus, he said.

"DDS does not want to be a monopoly, and we are not intimidated by having other places downtown," Rossiter said.