For Californians, recall surprises, embarrasses

The California recall processes, set to go to a vote tomorrow, has stirred an outpouring of emotion that rivals the acrimony of Election 2000 and the clash over the second Iraqi war. At Dartmouth College, physical distance has not dampened the opinions of native Californians.

The initial reaction of most students was one of surprise.

"I didn't know that it was a part of the [state] constitution that we could do something like that," Nate Ruegger '06 said. Josh Pence '04 felt that the recall process began with little warning.

"It crept up on a lot of people. It was upsetting to a lot of people," Pence said. Alexa Hansen '04 said she nonetheless understands its genesis. "Gray Davis isn't the most popular fellow," Hansen said.

Despite a shared sense of initial surprise, students are deeply divided over the recall question itself. "I think something needed to be done. There was frustration, stagnation within the state -- the economy really needs to be dealt with," Pence said. Ruegger shares this view.

"I feel like there are a lot of taxes, the energy crisis, a lot of taxes being placed on cars and the use of cars, and few jobs outside of the major cities," Ruegger said.

Opponents of the recall see it as a shameful power grab. Hillary Cain '04 feels that the recall is cause for "embarrassment." Hansen blamed Republican partisans for the recall.

"The Republicans were launching this as an attack on Davis. I find it amusing that this recall election, which is based on the loss of a budget surplus, is going to cost the state $100 million. This is a recall that is wholly partisan," Hansen stated.

John Hertzer '04 hopes that California will not become a whipping boy for late night entertainers.

"It was certainly humorous in a bizarre sort of way ... I didn't want California to have the reputation that Minnesota has," Hertzer said.

Other Dartmouth students also voiced concern over how the recall would affect California's national image. One student cited the Mary Carey for Governor campaign, which is attempting to build electoral support for pornography star Mary Carey. Carey, whose platform proposes tax-deductible lap dances, is only one of roughly 130 candidates whose media mentions have outstripped their poll numbers. Pence found this aspect of the recall to be most damaging to state pride.

"It made California look like a bit of a joke," Pence argued.

Ruegger feels that the fringe candidates have cast the recall in the wrong light. "I believed the principle of the recall is a great thing, but the media has focused on the porn star and Gary Coleman," he said.

Despite their varying opinions on the need for a recall, students generally agreed that the California budget deficit and economic slump are serious problems. "Obviously, our economy is not doing as well as it could be, and most of the 'dot-coms' were based in California," Hansen said.

Cain identified California's unbalanced budget as an issue that needs immediate attention; "I'd say focus on the deficit."

Pence sees the recall as a means to highlight these issues, regardless of the outcome. Pence believes that Californians "don't need another politician," but, "in the long run, if Gray Davis stays, he will be more in touch with the issues."

A Los Angeles Times poll that was released on Oct. 1 indicated that 56 percent of voters favored the recall, up from an indicated 50 percent in early September. A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll that was released on Sept. 29 indicated that 63 percent of Californians supported the recall. In the same poll, Arnold Schwartzenegger led all replacement candidates with an indicated 40 percent of the vote. However, neither poll reflects the possible electoral effects of recent allegations that Schwartzenegger sexually harassed several women and praised Adolf Hitler.

Tomorrow, California voters will vote on a two-part ballot. The first part of the ballot will ask voters whether they favor removing Davis. Davis will be recalled if a simple majority of California voters choose to remove him. The second portion of the ballot will ask voters to choose a replacement for Davis. If the recall succeeds, whichever candidate receives a plurality of votes will become the new governor of California.

All of the students interviewed by The Dartmouth either voted as absentees or attempted to procure absentee ballots.