Chabad Lubavitchers open Hanover center

The Chabad Lubavitch Organization -- a Hassidic Jewish group -- recently opened a new Jewish center in Hanover as part of its founder's vision to "bring Judaism to as many Jews as possible."

Rabbi Moshe Gray and his wife, Chani, relocated this fall to Hanover from Crown Heights, Brooklyn, in order to help spread the message of the late Lubavitcher Rebbe, Menachem Mendel Schneersohn.

The Grays currently live at Chabad's School Street location. Over the weekend, Chabad hosted morning services for Rosh Hashanah -- a Jewish holiday celebrating the New Year -- at the Wren Room, located in Sanborn Library.

The two expressed optimism regarding Chabad's prospects for success in Hanover.

"We had about 15 men and about four women the first day. The second day we had about 10 men and four women," the Rabbi added. "We've been here only two and a half weeks, so it was a decent turnout. We expect even more for Yom Kippur."

Although the Chabad House is not affiliated with the school, its proximity to campus is not a coincidence.

"Our aim is Dartmouth College. The Chabad house is open to all students. We will offer classes ... Talmud, Kabbalah and Jewish philosophy courses," Gray said. "We hope to complement the Dartmouth campus."

Rabbi Gray, decided to become a Lubavich emissary about three years ago.

"I was a student at the yeshiva in New Haven," he said. "At Yale University, there is a Rabbi name Shmuli Hecht, who runs the Chi Society -- a Chabad center -- and I knew his wife who grew up with me in Seattle. They asked me to get involved, and I was immediately drawn toward this kind of work. I spent most of my time either studying with students, or hanging out with them."

Zach Rentz '04 attended both the Chabad services and home cooked meals at School Street over the weekend.

"I really enjoyed the service, and the meals were fantastic. They had more food then I could eat," Rentz said. "I got there at 7:30 one night and didn't leave till midnight. Rabbi Gray and his wife were extremely welcoming. I plan on going again. They made everyone feel welcome."

Rachel Bender '04 also attended the Chabad services and dinner. Although she commented that she does not generally prefer gender-separated services, Bender enjoyed Chabad's "intimate environment."

Bender also said she was impressed by the Grays' enthusiasm and energy. "I enjoyed learning from a very intelligent rabbi. They were really welcoming ... They want to learn how to best serve the community," she said.

The Hanover Chabad is now the second Jewish institution in Hanover. The Dartmouth Hillel/Upper Valley Jewish Center had been its only Jewish center prior to Chabad's opening.

Hillel chaplain Rabbi Edward Boraz told The Dartmouth he welcomed the Grays' arrival in Hanover. "In the spirit of friendship and fellowship, we welcome Rabbi Gray, his wife Chana and new born son Mendel to the Dartmouth Community."

The Chabad-Lubavich's outreach movement includes over 4,000 emissary families and more than 2,700 institutions worldwide. The Hanover Chabad, however, is only its second chapter in the state of New Hampshire.