Shannon Rogers wins Brown Invitational with a 152

Shannon Rogers '04 won her first collegiate championship at the Brown Spring Invitational that concluded on Sunday, March 13, leading the Dartmouth women's golf team to a third place finish overall.

The junior co-captain fired rounds of 78-74 for a 36-hole total of 152. Brown won the tournament with a 624, but leading Bears Elizabeth Carpenter and Jennifer Bley both finished at 154, falling two strokes shy of the Dartmouth champion.

"I was very excited to play so well and help the team," Rogers said. "We've all been working on our mental games and to hone our physical skills as well. The team missed second place by one stroke to Boston College, which is a very strong team, and I think this was a great accomplishment."

Rogers is the first Big Green women's golfer to win a championship since Lauren Epstein '00 won the Lady Eagle Invitational in April 1999.

Rogers opened the tournament with a plus-seven 78 and was three shots off the lead. She turned in a tournament-low 74 at the 5,840-yard Agawam Hunt Golf Club to take the top spot. Teammate Kathy Birchall '04 was fourth with 80-76 -- 156.

Also in the mix for Dartmouth were co-captain Vivian Lee '03 (85-85 -- 170), Erika Fry '03 (90-90 -- 180), Alison Bergen '03 (88-96 -- 184) and Becky Halliwell '06 (102-92 -- 194).

Dartmouth's next tournament is the Ivy League Championship on April 26-27 in Ridgewood, N.J. A little outdoor practice -- weather pending -- could go a long way for the Big Green's chances in the Ivies.