Janos Marton for President

Janos Marton '04, the incumbent candidate for president of the Student Assembly, should be reelected. His successful efforts to implement small, targeted improvements reflect an important piece of knowledge gained through experience: that the Assembly cannot effect major changes on campus.

In last year's campaign, Marton's platform included several lofty promises such as raising student wages and implementing sweeping improvements in relations between Greeks and administrators. Neither of these promises have been fulfilled. Instead, Marton has achieved progress with smaller goals more in line with the Assembly's potential, such as modifications to the alcohol policy. His current campaign reflects this experience, focusing on ideas that are both beneficial and feasible, such as a 24-hour on-call doctor at Dick's House.

The broad goals and outsider attitude with which Brett Theisen '05 is approaching this campaign are reminiscent of Marton's previous platform. Last year Marton vowed "Read my lips: no new committees," but to date the structure of the Assembly remains essentially unchanged. Theisen makes an equally uninformed proposal of substantial improvements to the budget crisis, suggesting that increased fund raising facilitated by the Assembly can help alleviate the College's financial woes.

Overly ambitious platforms also plague campaigns for student body vice president. The generation and implementation of plans and goals, however, is a less important part of this role. The vice president needs motivation, connections with representatives and administrators and experience with the system in order to carry out the decisions of the Assembly. David Wolkoff's strong background in Assembly issues and his enthusiasm for the job make him the best candidate for this position.

Marton, with targeted, practical ideas and knowledge of Assembly, and Wolkoff, with substantial experience in student government, are the best pair to lead the Assembly in the coming year.