Students give alcohol training mixed reviews

The alcohol training sessions required under the College's revised Alcohol Policy have been met with mixed reactions, according to students who attended a session held last night.

Any students who register a party must attend these alcohol training sessions. While many of the students who have attended thus far belong to Greek organizations, members of diverse groups ranging from the Chess Club to Amarna, an undergraduate society, have attended training sessions so far.

The sessions begin definitions of certain key terms, then move into discussions of the specific obligations of monitors, servers and hosts. The sessions end with a question and answer period.

Health Education Programs Coordinator Laura Rubinstein said most students have found the sessions informative, but noted that a number of students affiliated with Greek houses have criticized them for being "redundant." Unaffiliated students also tend to see much of the information provided as "not applicable" to their situations.

Jon Webster '04, a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, described the overall session as "relatively worthwhile," but he still felt that "these things are mostly common sense -- just to have what's common sense is useful, but not necessary."

Carolyn Centeno '05, a member of Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority, said that the presentation should have been given from a "less authoritative" or "less forceful" viewpoint, so that "people would actually listen."

Centeno and several of her friends also disapproved of the way that Rubinstein told one young woman to leave the classroom because she had arrived for the presentation approximately 10 minutes late. "If this is so important, people shouldn't be kicked out," she said.

Several students who spoke with The Dartmouth specifically said they appreciated having it explained to them when Greek organizations can be held liable if someone winds up injured at an event.

Rubinstein explained that there is simple answer to the question of liability, but that generally, if it can be shown that a Greek organization did all it could to ensure that people would not be at risk, then the house would likely not be held liable. If, however, the house appeared negligent, it could be held liable.

"I thought it was a good thing that we learned about liability," Elizabeth Madden '05, a member of Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority, said.

But Dan Wahl '04, a member of Sig Ep, said that he would have liked to see even more specific information about legal problems that Greek houses could encounter.

Rubinstein noted that some students have expressed interest in finding out more about the legal responsibilities of Greek officers, but that the issue is less relevant to many rank and file Greek members.

In order to best address the issue, she has thought about developing an "adjunct" series of optional lectures that students who are more interested in particular risk management issues could attend.

A number of students asked questions during the presentation about how to interpret the Good Samaritan policy. Questions arose regarding what punishment follows after a student has been called once on the Good Samaritan policy,

One student was confused about why the Good Samaritan policy could not be applied to one of her friends simply because he had been disciplined by the College for a non-alcohol-related offense.

Others asked specific questions about what punishments students who have already been treated for intoxication under the Good Samaritan rule might face if they are found in an inebriated state again.