Twenty '03s chosen for executive committee

The College announced yesterday the names of 20 seniors chosen to serve together on the Class of 2003 Senior Executive Committee, the group responsible for organizing class activities over the next five years.

SEC members will hold weekly meetings during Winter and Spring terms to plan events such as Class Day and to select class marshals for Commencement, among other responsibilities.

Following graduation, the committee will organize mini-reunions, manage the class newsletter and ultimately plan the fifth year reunion in 2008, at which new class officers will be chosen.

The members of this year's senior class chosen for the SEC are Joseph Ackley, Olufunmilola Adedokun, Amit Anand, Deanne Battle, Stephanie Bonan, Ann Chang, Daniel Chang, Rebecca Davis, Jonathan Eisenman, Jill Haltigan, Evan Konwiser, Vivian Lee, Ethan Levine, Joseph Morales, Richard Jay Nussbaum, Jason Ortiz, Andrea Salone, Kristina Todd, Jordyne Wu and Mia Yocco.

These 20 students were chosen from a total applicant pool of 38 seniors, according to Jillian Gronski, assistant director of Alumni Relations. Twelve of the 20 were chosen Jan. 23 in a online election open to members of the senior class, with the remaining eight appointed Monday afternoon by a College selection committee.

Students were asked to submit applications that focused on their interests in joining the committee and their vision for what it means to be an alumnus or alumna of Dartmouth, Gronski said. This year also marked the first time that applications were accepted online.

Haltigan, a member of the Green Key Society during her junior year and a co-chair of the United Way student campaign, said her desire to give back to Dartmouth played a large role in her decision to join the committee.

"I want to do my best to keep our class together," she said. "I'd like to make sure we have as much fun in the future as we have had the past four years.

Anand said he was particularly excited to have an opportunity to work with a close-knit group of students.

"One of the things that's really great is that most of us already know each other," he said. "We're all friends to begin with." According to Anand, one of the most important responsibilities of the SEC will be helping to plan this year's Commencement

ceremonies.

Anand, who cited his "great love for Dartmouth" as one of the primary reasons for joining the committee, is currently the Student Life chair on Student Assembly.

The committee will hold its first meeting next Monday.