N.H. law doubles fine for fake ID possession

Alcohol was on the minds of both College administrators and New Hampshire legislators last year, as both the College and the state released significant revisions to their current alcohol regulations to start the new year.

Beginning Jan. 1, New Hampshire amended its statutes regarding the use and possession of fake IDs and the possession and consumption of alcohol. Just a few days later, the College released its final revised alcohol policy, effective Jan. 5.

The first of the New Hampshire statute changes establishes internal possession of alcohol for minors as a punishable offence. A blood alcohol level greater than .02 for a minor will now be considered internal possession of alcohol. Consequently, intoxication is now prima facie evidence of underage possession of alcohol.

"Before, we had to have a direct nexus between the individual and a vessel carrying alcohol," Hanover Police Chief Giaccone said. "It also no longer matters whether prior possession or consumption occurred outside our jurisdiction."

Punishment for minors found intoxicated or in possession of alcohol remains a $250 fine for the first offense, and a $500 fine for subsequent offenses. Even if the offense didn't occur while driving, the court or Department of Motor Vehicles may suspend the minor's license or privilege to drive.

The second statute change doubles the fine for possession and use of a fake ID. Using a fake ID to successfully obtain alcohol results in a misdemeanor punishable by a minimum fine of $500 on the first offense and $1000 on the second offense. The fines have been increased from $250 and $500, respectively. Likewise, the previous fines for possession of a fake ID have been doubled, setting them now at $500 for a first offense and $1000 for a second.

Changes have also been made to the Dartmouth alcohol policy. Last spring, the College created an ad hoc working group comprised of students, faculty and staff to review the current alcohol policy. The resultant recommendations and changes were incorporated into the recently-released revised alcohol policy.

According to an email sent to students by Dean of the College James Larimore on Nov. 25, the most notable changes to the policy include clarification of where social events containing alcohol can take place, a change to the process for registering parties, a new requirement for trained alcohol servers at social events beginning Spring term 2003, and the reaffirmation and clarification of the way the "Good Samaritan" policy is worded.

The largest of the changes replaces the "Tier System" for registering parties with simplified guidelines. Registration is now only required if attendance is greater than 10 people in a residence hall common area, or greater than "40 or the number of organization members, whichever is fewer, in a Coed, Fraternity, or Sorority physical plant," according to Larimore's email. The office of the Dean of the College refused to comment further.

Student Assembly President Janos Marton described the new registration process in general as "good," but points out that the largest and most problematic change to the alcohol policy lies in the clause that defines a party. According to the previous policy, a party consisted of 40 or the number of organization members, whichever is greater. For Marton, the changing of the word greater to fewer in the new policy, which he says was never discussed by the working group, could have a dramatic effect.

"It would be particularly difficult for a bigger house. If they had half their brotherhood in the basement they would have to register it as a party," Marton said. "Because each house can only register two parties a week, I see only two possible outcomes. Either the new rule can be followed and could cripple campus social life, or it can be ignored, leaving people to get in trouble."

Another new addition to the alcohol policy will require certified trained servers whenever alcohol is present, either appropriately trained students or paid professional servers, beginning Spring term 2003.