College postpones some construction

Cuts in the College budget have forced planners to revise Dartmouth's construction plans and delay several buildings, although construction already begun will be completed on schedule.

According to Director of Facilities Planning Reed Bergwall, the budget cuts have led many projects to be held in the planning stage.

"We're always dependent on finding the funding," said Bergwall, contrasting construction projects with the less vulnerable areas of the budget funding operating costs. The College's construction schedules depend heavily on fund raising.

The buildings delayed include the Kemeny Hall building which would house the mathematics department, a new dining and residence hall complex and social facilities planned for Maynard Street, and an expansion building for the Thayer Engineering School which would stand on the site now taken by Hinman Residence Hall.

The parking complex destined for a lot near the River Cluster will also be delayed so that it can be designed to be built within its budget, and because the permit process has not been completed.

Construction of Carson Hall, Baker Library renovations and a new Phi Tau building will be completed this term. The movement of Phi Tau will clear the way for the Kemeny building -- Bergwall hopes its construction will begin in 2003.

An expansion of the Dartmouth Child Care Center on Reservoir Road will also continue as planned.

Dartmouth Dining Services will also finish a new smoothie bar in Thayer Dining Hall, which according to Director of Dining Services Tucker Rossiter will be called "The Blend."

The Blend, which will offer pastries and wraps in addition to smoothies, is designed to supplement the "overwhelmed" smoothie bar in Collis, and is scheduled to open within a month.

Rossiter says The Pavilion, which offers kosher and halal dining options, will be open Friday nights instead of Sunday nights. He also said hours will also be expanded in Novack Caf -- it will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 1 a.m.

Budget cuts were announced this Summer term after the economy failed to recover during the 2002 fiscal year, leading to a significant shortfall in investment return.

College President James Wright announced a $1.6 million cut in mid-August in addition to a $3.3 million cut made during Spring term. $5.7 million of further cuts are planned for next year.