College enters phase of heavy construction

Dartmouth has just entered a new age of construction which will promise the '06 class a new dining hall, new student centers and -- at least for those living in the River Cluster -- some rude awakenings.

The most important building construction for student life is probably the new dining hall, residence hall and social facilities on the North side of Maynard Street, on the far north side of the campus.

Director of Facilities Planning Reed Bergwall said he hopes construction will begin on the Maynard Street buildings by 2003. He noted that the buildings were a "major funding requirement" which was not yet met.

Frank Roberts, director of operations at the Department of Facilities, Operations and Management, noted the Maynard street project would require major utility work, the nosiest type of construction his department does.

However, the most noticeable -- and disruptive -- construction for first-year students will probably be the new parking garage that will be near the River Cluster -- which houses solely 280 Freshmen students, according to the Office of Residential Life.

"The '06's should assume that the construction work on the garage should start either the first or second half of the academic year," said Bergwall.

Construction will begin at eight each morning -- deferred from the normal construction start time of seven in deference to nearby students -- and continue for an eight-hour working day.

The garage site will first be excavated, which Bergwall said will cause "normal construction noise." He also pointed out that the garage site was set slightly back from the River dorms, across from the Maxwell senior apartments.

The construction of the 600-seat Maynard Street dining hall will precede a renovation that will close the Thayer Dining Hall, currently the main dining hall.

The new Thayer will include student social and performance space as well as a smaller dining facility, according to the Facilities Planning Office.

The FPO points out that most of the buildings planned are not being built to expand the number of people at Dartmouth, but rather to enhance the quality of life of the people here.

Roberts says he will also be repairing telephone ducts near Silsby and Blunt during the year. He also noted that major repairs being made to the East Wheelock cluster during the year should be complete before freshmen arrive.

Other projects under consideration or being planned for the four years most of the '06 class will be on campus include new academic centers and expanded housing for graduate students and faculty.

Kemeny Hall will house the Mathematics Department and allow further demolition of the historically unsightly Gerry and Bradley Halls, sometimes referred to as "the shower towers" due to their bathroom-tile appearance.

An attached academic center will host the Dartmouth Ethics Institute, the Leslie Center for the Humanities, and the John Sloan Dickey Center for International Understanding.

Additional long-term plans or plans lacking funding include new buildings or additions for the Arts program in the Hopkins Center, new Life Science facilities on the most northern edge of the campus and Thayer School additions which would stand where Hinman dorm is currently.