Organic Farm will host Summer Fest.

Students eager to escape Hanover's usual Friday offerings will have an opportunity tomorrow to take to the fields for a full day of events at the Dartmouth Organic Farm's Summer Festival.

The six-year-old facility, located off of Lyme Road, holds such an event each term at Dartmouth, but the summer season promises optimal weather conditions and activity options.

"We just want people to have a good time," Anna Fleder '04, the event's primary organizer, said. Fleder noted that the goal of the event is to "provoke more interest" among segments of the student body that may not know much about the Farm or its operations.

The afternoon schedule includes fieldwork and on-site swimming in the Connecticut River. Later on, students can anticipate beeswax candle and lantern making, a potluck dinner and live music.

Fleder expressed uncertainty over the likely turnout, but noted that with luck the Farm will see 50 to 100 visitors. Past events have drawn well over 100 participants, but the relatively small number of students on campus for Summer term may affect the draw.

Three full-time and five part-time interns hold much of the responsibility for keeping the Farm running this summer. Additionally, "any number of volunteers" pitch in to help out with such activities as planting, weeding, watering and Thursday morning harvesting sessions.

The Organic Farm also presently houses three students.

For students interested in attending, buses will depart from Robinson Hall at 3 p.m, 5p.m. and 7 p.m.