'02s still at work, play in Hanover

When Jeff Garrett '02 walks across campus en route to his new job in the Admissions Office, he sometimes sees people staring at him strangely. Occasionally, they approach him and ask questions like, "Why are you still around? Haven't you graduated already?"

Many other '02s are also still on campus this summer, working at full-time jobs for the Dartmouth administration, picking up some course credits -- or taking the opportunity to spend a few months with a significant other.

Although most who spoke with The Dartmouth reported enjoying their experience, most also admitted feeling awkward on campus on some occasions and to finding that their social options are much different.

Sarah Webb '02, who works as a volunteer coordinator at the Tucker Foundation, found herself turning away from campus and instead to various recreational activities in Lebanon.

For example, she has discovered regular town dinners in Lyme, weekend craft fairs and Monday night concerts on the town green in Lebanon.

Russell King-Jones '02, who is currently helping an engineering professor to design a machine that can test for breast tumors, has also observed that "trying to find parties is a bit more difficult now."

He has, however, found plenty of time to enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, biking and kayaking.

Garrett had not expected to wind up working at Dartmouth or in the Hanover area. However, when the Admissions Office sent out a letter to graduating seniors encouraging them to apply to be admissions officers, Garrett took the chance because he felt that it fit in well with his long-term educational and career plans.

"I wanted to do something different for one or two years before going to graduate school," he said, "and higher education seems a great place to start."

Garrett has been accepted to Harvard University's graduate program in education, but he has deferred his admissions.

Sarah Webb '02, who is currently working as a volunteer coordinator at the Tucker Foundation, had not initially intended to stay in the Hanover area either.

Still, she had long been highly involved with Dartmouth community service, and the possibility of working as a volunteer coordinator for the Tucker Foundation intrigued her.

She noted that the job she currently holds is "tailored for recently graduated seniors" and is especially enjoyable because she spends much of her time counseling students whom she knew from her Tucker activities prior to graduation.

After a severe concussion last Fall term prevented him from completing his courses, Michael Jason "Niegel" Smith '02 also found himself on campus unexpectedly this summer.

Despite the change in his plans, Smith found himself enjoying the opportunity to take classes at Dartmouth, especially because the only courses he has left are electives.

Smith also found that this summer has finally given him a chance to capitalize fully on four years of academic experiences at Dartmouth.

"I finally feel like I've figured out what it takes to be a successful student," he said.

He also found himself relishing spending time at Dartmouth after "all the ceremonial aspects are done," that is, after the formal graduation ceremony.

The chance to spend some extra time with special people has also made Smith's summer at Dartmouth more pleasant. He is sharing an off-campus apartment with his best friend, Nicholas Rinard '02, and he is also enjoying the opportunity to spend more time with his boyfriend.

Adam Green '02 has also welcomed the chance to spend time with a significant other.

He is spending this summer living in the area with his girlfriend, a '99 who is working for Opera North, before he starts medical school at New York University next year.

While enjoying the opportunity to rest after graduation, Green did find it "strange to be observing sophomore summer from the outside."