S&S plans for active weekend

While incidents over Green Key weekend have fallen in recent years, Hanover Police and Safety and Security will take some additional measures to provide for security and encourage students to be alert.

Hanover Police said the volume of calls they receive is no higher than most weekends, though Capt. Christopher O'Connor said that the alcohol involved in many Green Key weekend incidents usually makes the calls more time consuming.

As a result, "we may end up putting on extra personnel on Friday and Saturday night," O'Connor said. Though no new patrols will be added, police expect to keep a watch on registered parties.

Green Key does appear to have grown tamer in recent years, O'Connor said, adding, "I think that if I compared Green Key with Winter Carnival, Winter Carnival is more active than Green Key."

The police are likely to be "more proactive than reactive," and may choose to station themselves near major events to ensure they "could intercept any problems there might be," O'Connor added.

Many calls police receive on Green Key weekend are for help from Safety and Security, often for non-Dartmouth students.

Given the increased activity and the increase in non-students on campus for the weekend's events, Safety and Security Sgt. Rebel Roberts advised students to lock their doors and report suspicious activity to Safety and Security.

"We do count on the student body a lot to give us a heads up," she said.

State and College policies prohibit the possession, consumption or distribution of alcohol to minors or obviously intoxicated persons.

The College also forbids public intoxication and the possession of open containers of alcohol on most parts of campus, including streets, the Green and areas near academic buildings.

Residential Operations will lock residence hall doors this afternoon at 3 p.m. They will be re-opened on Monday morning.