'The Bachelor' is no one's dog

Are you ready for another take on "The Real World," "Survivor" or "Temptation Island?" Whether you've been yearning for another reality television show or not, get ready for ABC's newest attempt to raise its ratings: "The Bachelor," a six-week saga that follows the life and mind of an eligible bachelor and the 25 women who hope to become his wife.

The show's concept rests upon a man's attempt to choose the perfect bride from a nationally selected group of young women. While this new series strays from the constant deceit, betrayal and challenges of "Survivor" and its knock-offs, it still has the elements of suspense and intrigue.

Monday night witnessed the 9 p.m. premiere of "The Bachelor," which received a swarm of mixed reviews from critics. While many have argued that the series is just another take on "The Real World," others have praised its classy and tasteful approach to reality, at least for now.

"The Bachelor" opened with the introduction of Alex Michelle, a wealthy management consultant, a Harvard graduate, a millionaire and most women's dream of the perfect man. The question that entered everyone's minds Monday night was why such a successful man was not able to find true love on his own. While Alex insists that he simply didn't have the time to search for his soul mate, many have questioned the honesty behind the show. Critics have argued that it may just be a repeat of Fox's failed attempt at marrying a millionaire to a woman he has never met on national TV, "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire?"

Beyond the rumors and questions concerning "The Bachelor" lies an interesting and entertaining show. Monday night's premier began with Alex's introduction to the 25 women who were selected as his potential lovers. Each arrived in a stretch limo that carried them to a beautiful California beachside mansion where the show is filmed.

After a few hours of mingling, Alex was faced with his first great test: narrowing the group down to a selected 15 who will compete for his hand in marriage. While Alex stood in a makeshift "deliberation room" to ponder his choices, early signs of hatred and jealousy began to form throughout the group of women.

Once the Bachelor decided who was about to "go home," he handed 15 of the original 25 women a long-stem rose. Those who did not receive a rose were asked to say goodbye to the others and were escorted off the show. The others were invited to remain with Alex for the next six weeks as he tries to search for his bride.

While I have to admit that "The Bachelor" originally seemed as if it would be just another attempt to gain ratings and promote yet another "exotic" television series, I think that it actually has the potential to stand out amongst its competitors. Unlike a slew of reality shows that centered around a number of disgusting and somewhat humiliating challenges, "The Bachelor" has no rules. There's no script to follow.

While "The Bachelor" may lack originality, it seems that it will allow all of us to escape from reality and look into a world that many long for.