Black History Month kicks off

To commemorate Black History Month this February, a diverse assortment of student groups have collaborated with faculty members, administrators and curators at the Hood Museum of Art to celebrate the accomplishments of African-Americans.

"The overarching purpose of the series of events this year is to recognize the achievements of African-Americans and pay tribute to them," said Desmond Nation '02, president of the Afro-American Society.

Assistant Dean of Student Life Dawn Hemphill, an adviser in the Office of Black Student Advising, hoped that students of all racial and cultural backgrounds would attend Black History month events.

Nation was pleased with the level of collaboration among diverse campus groups that planned Black History Month events together.

"We have historically black Greek organizations, the Afro-American society and members of the faculty all working together," he said.

For example, Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority will sponsor screenings and discussion of films including Spike Lee's "Four Little Girls" on Feb. 6 and "School Daze" on Feb. 12.

Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity is holding discussions on issues such as black/Korean conflict, black female body image, racial profiling and inner-city education. The fraternity will also sponsor a Black History Knowledge Bowl on Feb. 16.

The Afro-American Society has planned a number of activities as well, including a talent show titled "AAamateur Night" and a discussion on white privilege at Shabazz Hall.

Professor Andrew Garrod will discuss his new book, "Souls Looking Back: Life Stories of Growing Up Black," during a luncheon at the Hanover Inn on Feb. 5.

Juliet Bianco '94, exhibitions manager at the Hood Museum of Art, has also been active in planning various events for Black History Month.

Bianco described the Hood's efforts as "more concentrated" in 2002 since the museum is doing a heavier amount of programming than usual with exhibitions of relevant artwork.

On Feb. 8, the Hood will sponsor a gallery talk/live performance, "My Thank-You for Music: The Jazz Artist as Hero and Icon In the Black Arts Movement," from 7 to 9 p.m.

The Hood will also sponsor a screening of "Eyes on the Prize," a documentary tracing the history of the integration of public schools. The first three hours of the documentary will be shown on Feb. 13, and the last three hours of the film will be shown Feb. 20.

On Feb. 17, the Hood will sponsor a "Family Day" geared to children between the ages of 6-12 and their adult companions.

Bianco's goal has been to make the Hood's programs as accessible in as many different ways as possible, she said.

"I want to help people understand through different media since we all learn differently," she said.