Greeks face first winter rush

Despite the recent switch from fall to winter rush, Greek leaders are confident that the total number of sophomore inductees will remain consistent with last years figures.

According to Peter Stern '02, IFC vice president for rush, Dartmouth's fraternities, sororities and coed houses expect that a larger than usual second-term rush in the spring will even out numbers if fewer people than normal rush this winter.

The sororities will still be unable to guarantee bids for this year's approximately 215 sorority rushees, a number similar to last year's 226, Panhellenic Council President Tasha Francis '02 said.

Even with consistent recruitment numbers, Greek leaders continue to express concern regarding the long-term effects of the decision to delay rush until Winter term.

"This was something that was imposed, not something done by choice," Stern said, referring to a decision brought about by the controversial Student Life Initiative.

In addition to decreasing demand for Greek housing during Winter term, the change in rush also means that members could hold leadership positions during sophomore summer after only one month of membership, Francis said.

Aside from timing, Greek houses have implemented few changes to the rush process since last year.

Changes in sorority rush include an earlier declaration of preference and more interaction between members and rushees, according to Francis. The Panhellenic Council enacted the changes, however, because of complaints lodged last spring rather than because of the move to Winter term.

The fraternities have not changed their process.

"It's the same process, just a bit colder," said Eric Powers '02, president of the Inter-Fraternity Council.

Powers said he does not feel that the move to winter rush is "going to hurt houses' rush numbers, since the spring rush will be big."

"It will hurt the houses monetarily," he said.

Stern said that "some of the smaller frats -- smaller in terms of membership -- will have financial problems because the amount of dues being paid will drastically decrease."

"We'll have a bigger spring rush," Stern said, because the sophomores off-campus in Winter term will rush then. "In the end, the numbers will be about the same."

Brent Kesler '03, Coed Council rush chair, said the number of rushees will not likely be changed by the move from fall to winter, though he warned it is too early to tell since no figures have been tabulated.

Sorority rush, longer and more elaborate than the coed or fraternity programs, begins Sunday with Round Zero, in which rushees participate in service projects at each of the six sororities. Rushees spend this round with a previously assigned Rho Chi, a sorority member who serves an advisor.

During Round One, on Jan. 7 and 8, each sorority will hold three parties each night for prospects in their Rho Chi groups.

Round Two also includes six short parties, this time not in Rho Chi groups, while Preference Night on Jan. 12 includes three hour-long parties at each house. Accepted prospects sink bids on Jan. 15.

Fraternity rush, held Jan. 14 to 16, "is actually pretty low-key," according to Powers.

The fraternity membership process is "an opportunity for the '04s to introduce themselves to the houses and for everyone to talk and get to know each other a little more," he said.

According to Powers, fraternity rush is more informal than that of the sororities, where many prospectives dress up for events.

This year is the first that the coed houses have coordinated their rush programs, Kesler said.

The coed houses, in holding their rush on Jan. 10, are "trying to capitalize on the excitement surrounding the rush," Kesler said.

In addition, it has not yet been decided if a coordinated rush will be held Spring term, though bids can be given at any point in the term.