We Cannot Understand

Brigitta Wagner's editorial "Seeing Both Sides" (Oct. 2) was shocking, infuriating and way off the mark. It was just one more anti-American response to the Sept. 11 tragedy, a response that has become all too familiar around our nation's college campuses. Ms. Wagner asks us to understand the actions of bin Laden and his network of terror. It is very difficult to understand a group of people who beat their women in the streets, build stadiums in which citizens are tortured and believe that any American taxpayer is a legitimate target in their holy war.

I am not going to sit here and claim that all of America's policies have made the world a better place. But if Ms. Wagner would like to take the bad, I'll take the good, and I'll have a hell of a lot more chips in front of me when we add up the score.

It's hard to spout such grandiose nonsense as Ms. Wagner does when you work a few blocks from where the World Trade Center used to be and watched over 80 people from your hometown and 50 people from your parish burn alive and jump off a building 115 floors high. The real disgrace is how people like Ms. Wagner try to persuade the American public into thinking that we have brought this attack upon ourselves. These people hate us the way Nazis hated Jews. But maybe America should have tried to understand Hitler's ideology and reasoning for slaughtering millions of Jews and Catholics before we saved the continent of Europe for the second time. What a JOKE!