Booklet is Independent

In his Oct. 1 column, Randy Lynn '05 presented what he believes to be the administration's harmful involvement in the discussion about the Greek system: "We got these little [Student Life Initiative] booklets in our Hinman boxes during Orientation, full of firsthand frat horror stories and articles against frats. [The administration doesn't] care about that stuff, but [it uses] it to [its] advantage anyway, and that's pathetic."

This could not be farther from the truth. "Before It's Too Late," a booklet made for the Class of 2005 by The Dartmouth Student Force, had no support from the administration. In fact, because administrators report to the trustees, who do not support the elimination of single-sex residential and social organizations, they cannot support it. The "alternate guide to life at Dartmouth" was, as its cover says, "made for students by students." A friend of mine, Abbye Meyer '02, chose to spend her summer designing and producing the booklet, and many wonderful students and faculty members wrote and contributed time and money. Disagreement with the current Greek system is not for administrators only; it is a common view among students.

The booklet was not meant to be propaganda, especially not from the administration. In fact it could be taken as a critique of the administration as well. The booklet was meant to be honest and informative. Hopefully this clarification will allow first year students to see "Before It's Too Late" for what it is.