Assembly prepares dinner

Student Assembly officially announced its acquisition of Tom Dent Cabin to its membership and approved funding for this year's Revelations Dinner at last night's meeting.

Tom Dent Cabin, which is located near the Ledyard Canoe Club, was turned over to Student Assembly by Student Activities in September after years of Athletic Department ownership.

Under the new arrangements, the Cabin will be rented out to students and student organizations free of charge, with reservations taken on a first-come first-serve basis.

Alcohol will be allowed in the cabin, which overlooks the Connecticut River, so long as the event is registered with Safety and Security.

Student Body Vice President Michael Newton '04 gave a brief slide presentation showing the interior of the cabin, which is equipped with a kitchen, restroom and a generous living room. Newton was encouraged by the College administration's willingness to supply the cabin as a fully student-controlled social space and hoped it might be a sign of things to come.

"If we could do this well with [Tom Dent Cabin], then this could lead to a lot of things like it," he said.

Though the Cabin is currently in operation and can be reserved on the Assembly's website, an official kick-off event, open to the Dartmouth community, will be held on Nov. 2 to serve as an introduction to students.

The meeting also saw the unanimous passage of a resolution -- sposored by Kendra Quincy Kemp '02, Bill Jaeger '02, Puja Dutt '05, Karim Nehdi '05 and the Student Life Committee -- to fund this year's Revelations Dinner, an event designed to bring together the freshman and senior classes over a free meal.

"A lot of people get to sophomore summer and say, 'I never really thought about these issues,'" Student Body President Molly Stutzman '02 said, describing the dinner as a means of addressing the lack of interaction between freshmen and upperclassmen on campus.

The previous Revelations Dinner, which brought nearly 250 students together, was the first of its kind, though Student Assembly hopes it will become an annual tradition.

This year's Revelations Dinner will be held Sunday.

Following last week's approval of the Undergraduate Teaching Initiative, Kevin Smith '05, Jonathan Lazarow '05, David Hankins '05 and Munish Dayal '04 were appointed to direct the implementation of each the Initiative's four components.