Summer Carnival attracts 500 people

A 22-foot inflatable slide, moon bounce and fake tattoo artist were just a few of the attractions at this weekend's Summer Carnival, an annual event organized by the Programming Board.

Approximately 500 people -- both Dartmouth students and local families -- gathered at the Green throughout Saturday afternoon for the various festivities, according to Programming Board co-chair Eric Ruben '03.

A barbecue and live music by a student band -- composed of Andrew Allport '01, Derek Hansen '02 and Michael Lovett '03 -- were two of the most popular activities, Ruben said.

Summer Carnival, Ruben explained, is one of the biggest events the Programming Board has coordinated this term, adding that the group hoped "just to offer students something fun to do."

"It's been going on for a bunch of years now and is sort of a tradition," he added.

Both the 2003 Class Council and Student Assembly also helped out with and volunteered at the event, Ruben said.

Dunk tanks, speed pitch, jousting and a bungee run rounded off the fun and games, while the Class Council coordinated a tie-dye T-shirt booth.

The Shriners parade and benefit football game -- both held earlier that day -- helped to draw many more members of the local community out, Ruben explained.

Nearly 3,000 Shriners descended upon Hanover for a noon parade down Main Street before the Shrine Maple Sugar Bowl kicked off on Alumni Field at 2:30 p.m.

With the finest high school football players from Vermont and New Hampshire facing off, New Hampshire stole the game 21-0.

Approximately 11,000 were in attendance at the game, David Orr '57 -- the organization's media relations director -- estimated, although they will not know until September how much the charity event raised for area Shriners hospitals.