Many find stores tasteful but pricey

Despite its limited length, a casual stroll down Main Street, the only part of Hanover that, at a stretch, might be referred to as "downtown," yields a variety of shopping options.

On Hanover's busiest street, the diligent shopper can encounter most of the essentials of student life -- from school supplies to camping supplies, spirit wear to dorm decor.

The College itself is a presence on the street that leads up to the Green. The Dartmouth Co-op offers a range of Dartmouth items including the infamous "College" shirt sported by John Belushi in the Dartmouth-inspired movie "Animal House," as well as more traditional fare including T-shirts, pendants, stationery and key chains. The Co-op also houses a variety of hiking and camping gear and clothing.

Additional Dartmouth apparel as well as a variety of funky jewelry can be purchased at Main Street's Traditionally Trendy.

Textbooks, school supplies and other spirit items can be purchased at the Dartmouth Bookstore. The bookstore also includes a large music section complete with CDs, cassette tapes and DVDs as well as an extensive selection of nonacademic volumes.

Used books can be purchased at Left Bank Books.

School supplies can also be purchased at College Supplies, which sports an array of novelty items including piatas, scented candles, crystal tattoos, stuffed animals and the ever-popular "Boyfriend in a Box."

Students can develop film or purchase a variety of posters, cards and cameras at the Camera Shop of Hanover.

Sundries and medical prescriptions can be picked up at Eastman's Pharmacy.

For the musically inclined, sheet music can be bought at Hanover Strings.

Clothing is also readily available on Main Street, although the selections is rather limited.

Hanover boasts of its very own Gap, which offers clothing, accessories and bath supplies for both men and women. However, as soon as new seasonal lines appear in its shop windows, Dartmouth women can be seen to dress more and more alike.

As a consequence, those seeking more unique fashion options can shop further down Main Street at Bella, Rare Essentials, Campions, O.B.A. or Mia, Hanover's smaller, non-chain apparel venues.

Bella features funky designs by the toasts of the metropolitan fashion scene, such as Betsey Johnson, as well as a variety of dressy clothing, shoes and accessories. Although neither Rare Essentials, Campions, O.B.A. nor Mia typically cater to the college-age crowd, all showcase classic and timeless items in addition to more mature fashions.

Home dcor including lamps, figurines and furniture -- all of which abound in Hanover -- can be purchased at Brambles, Main Street Kitchens and Foreign Accents.

Near the end of Main Street, students can purchase coffee, snacks and convenience items at Foodstop. Indeed, some students have been known to judge off-campus real estate in relation to its proximity to this Dartmouth staple, the only business in Hanover open 24 hours a day.

In addition to the above stores, a post office, movie theatre and several banks and restaurants are also located on Hanover's Main Street.