Tulloch to plead innocent today

Robert Tulloch, the older of the two Vermont teenagers charged with the brutal stabbing deaths of Dartmouth professors Half and Susanne Zantop, will be pleading not guilty at his arraignment today, according to his lawyer, Richard Guerriero.

"Robert is and should be presumed innocent," Guerriero said.

Tulloch, 17, was indicted on two counts of first degree murder on April 19. His alleged accomplice, James Parker, 16, is considered a juvenile under New Hampshire state law and prosecutors are seeking to certify him as an adult before proceeding with his indictment.

Both teens are currently being held without bail. Although bail hearings are often held at the same time as arraignments, Guerriero said that he will reserve the right to hold Tulloch's bail hearing at a later date, after the conclusion of the discovery period.

Guerriero refused to offer further comment on the case.

"We intend to try this case in the courtroom not in the media," he said.

Tulloch and Parker, both natives of Chelsea, Vermont, are accused of the murders of Dartmouth College professors Half and Susanne Zantop in their Hanover home on Jan. 27.

According to court documents, evidence gathered against the youths includes a knife containing the blood of Susanne Zantop, found in Tulloch's bedroom and a knife sheath, left at the murder scene, with a fingerprint that matched Parker.

The two were fingerprinted by authorities on Feb. 15, and fled Vermont shortly afterward.

They were arrested at an Indiana truckstop four days later, following a cooperative manhunt by police from various nearby states and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Prosecutors have yet to reveal what may have prompted the two teenagers to commit the murders, although some suggest a botched burglary attempt or a thrill kill as possible motives.

According to Senior Assistant Attorney General Kelly Ayotte, the investigation is still ongoing.

Tulloch's arraignment is scheduled for today at 1:30 p.m., at the Grafton County Superior Courthouse.