Sigma Nu surprises Greeks

Days after Sigma Nu fraternity seceded from the Coed Fraternity Sorority Council, leaders of other Greek houses are describing the move as surprising and perhaps brash while reaffirming their own current commitment to the Council.

Speaking to The Dartmouth last week, Sigma Nu president Frank Yoshida '02 had cited recent criticism of the Greek system -- and the ineffectiveness of the CFSC in representing the fraternity's interests -- as the catalyst behind the Thursday secession announcement, which becomes effective June 5th.

President of Sigma Delta sorority Betsy Super '02 reaffirmed the difficulties the system is enduring: "I think it's generally just a really hard time to be Greek. No matter where you turn, someone is mad at you."

But when asked if she would ever consider seceding from the CSFC, she said she didn't know.

Most Greek leaders contacted said they were surprised by Sigma Nu's decision, although opinions on its effectiveness tended to be negative.

Several house presidents called the CFSC an imperfect organization, but also credited it with trying to change for the better.

Jamie Colligan, President of Alpha Delta fraternity, said, "I don't think the means [Sigma Nu] took are efficient or smart in that the CSFC is an organization of intelligent, influential Greek leaders. Secession is pretty futile -- it's a political expression whose ends I don't understand."

Colligan stressed that he would never have Alpha Delta secede from the CFSC.

Chi Heorot President Mike Salice voiced similar opinions, saying that by taking itself out of the system, Sigma Nu effectively limited its own voice and influence for change.

When asked if he would ever consider secession, Salice said, "At this point, no. If you have a problem, you should work to change the system and try to make it more how you envision it."

CFSC Vice President Lauren Lafaro '02 said she understood the reasoning behind Sigma Nu's actions but was disappointed that they didn't feel they could resolve the issues within the CFSC.

"We recognize that there are a number of problems in the system and we've been trying to address them, but it will take some time," she said.

When asked if this would cause other houses to secede, Lafaro said, "I can't make predictions -- the only precedent is Tri-Delt's secession a year ago."

Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority president Caitlin Murphy '02 echoed Lafaro's sentiments, saying she believes the CFSC recently improved and is committed to further improvement.

When asked about the possibility of a new Greek governing council being formed, Murphy said, "It's possible -- something will change." But she said she didn't know whether this would involve a change within the CFSC itself or the formation of something completely new.

Murphy also said that seceding from the CFSC would be a momentous decision, one she couldn't foresee making anytime in the immediate future.