Senior Symposium focuses on env.

The 23rd annual Senior Symposium will bring David Orr, director of environmental studies at Oberlin College, to Dartmouth to give a speech on "Education and the Earth."

This year's Senior Symposium falls on Earth Day, Saturday April 21, and the 10-student symposium committee chaired by Judy Huang '01 and Nicole Vanatko '01 has come together with the Dartmouth Environmental Conservation Organization to create a joint event.

Unlike last year's symposium, which was seven days of events ranging from slide shows and films to speeches and discussion groups, the symposium this year will encompass a weekend and feature one speaker.

"Last year's symposium had a much more extensive program, but this year we're planning more focused events," Huang said.All of this year's events are centered on Orr, an award-winning environmental writer and activist who promotes education as a primary means of creating environmental sustainability.

Orr is the author of "Earth in Mind" written in 1994, "Ecological Literacy" from 1992 and has also published more than 90 articles.

Jessica Morey '01, a member of ECO and a coordinator of Earth Day, and Vanatko said they were inspired to invite Orr to the symposium after reading "Earth in Mind" in a class taught by Professor Nancy Crumbine entitled "The Philosophy of Education." Crumbine will introduce Orr at the keynote address.

Orr's novel focuses on "business, ethics, religion and an all encompassing view of the way things are now and how we can move closer to sustainability," Morey commented.

The committee has planned a Saturday morning brunch for Orr, students and faculty at the Organic Farm.

The speech will take place in Filene hall in Moore at 11 a.m. Saturday morning.

Orr will spend the rest of the afternoon at the organic farm speaking to College administrators, professors and students. At this event, ECO and the organic farm will propose a plan to expand the farm in order for it to become a completely self-sufficient and sustainable entity.

Although sponsored by the Senior Symposium committee, the discussion at the organic farm is by invitation only.

At 8 p.m. on Saturday night, Orr will be available to speak to students in an informal setting on the porch of Collis. Free Ben & Jerry's ice cream will be provided to spur people into discussion about the environment.

On Sunday, Orr will attend professor Dana Meadows' memorial service at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the Upper Valley. According to Morey, Orr was a good friend of Meadows, and her death this February was the main reason he decided to come speak at Dartmouth.

The symposium's last event takes place Sunday night at 7 p.m. in Collis Cafe, where seniors John Phinney, Robert Mirakian, Linda Romano and Corrie Francis will present their senior fellowship projects.

Senior fellows are students who pursue a year-long thesis project instead of taking classes during their senior year.

Huang commented that the senior fellows are the "academic superstars" of the Class of 2001 and that they deserve special recognition.

The Senior Symposium is an annual spring event that originated with the graduating class of 1978 as an "academic gift" to the College community. Funding for the event is provided by several campus organizations, including the Student Assembly.